hair dye

I just found out I'm preggers, but my roots are horrid! Saturday is my normal dye day and I was thinking about dying it back to my natural color so I won't have to deal with these horrible roots all pregnancy long. However, I've read it's not safe in the first trimester. Would it be safe to dye just the blonde pieces so the chemicals dont come in contact with my skin? I don't mind if the roots dont match perfectly, I just can't handle having such dark roots in contrast to the rest of my hair. It's already noticeable and would be super obvious by the time I give birth. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• aliishott2, that's not exactly true.. ammonia can be harmful to a fetus if too much is breathed in and/or absorbed in the skin.. although most hair colors don't typically have enough to be lethal to the fetus it's advised to wait until the second trimester for safer results..

BUT op.. most demi hair colors don't contain ammonia.. so are safer to use while pregnant. And if you are covering over blond highlights, this is also a healthier way to restore your hair to it's more natural color. While it typically lasts 4-6 months a harsh shampoo like a clarifying shampoo can strip it faster, so try to use a color protectant shampoo and conditioner to help keep it lasting longer. and you are just trying to match your roots.. so you shouldn't have to actually touch your scalp for an all over color match..
    A stylist can find the perfect fitting formula fo ryour needs :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• highlights are safe. Just do like you mentioned,no scalp touching with the dye

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• there is NO evidence that dying your hair effects your pregnancy or baby in any way. you can ask any doctor. i dyed my hair all through my pregnancy and my daughter is perfect, healthy and smart as hell
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• wait or get a temp no chemicals.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You can dye your hair when your pregnant. I was dyeing my hair black when I found out I was pregnant, and all my ob/gyn said was to NOT dye it during my 1st trimester. Anything after that is apparently fine...
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 7:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You can dye your hair, as long as it doesn't carry some type of chemical. I don't know what it's called though, call your OB and ask.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yes you can call your ob and have his opinion on what you can use or do
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• ask you obgyn frist
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2010