Can anyone help me out with a couple questions about health insurance coverage?

A little quick background...my husband is leaving his job at the end of the week. He's under the impression that his medical coverage will stop immediately. I've always been told that your insurance is paid by employers on a monthly basis and you are always covered until the end of the month, no matter what. Which is the right answer? Second question: My husband won't get medical coverage from his new job for 45-90 days (they're going to "try" to cover him earlier than normal). I know there are programs in NY that cover kids without benefits. Does anyone know if my 2 children would be elgible during this time? There is no way we can afford COBRA.

wokingmommy

Asked by wokingmommy at 9:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Health

• it depends. some employers pay week to week and some bi weekly and some monthly. he needs to ask his supervisor or office manager. also special coverage from the state has income req. so it depends if you meet those req. You may be better off to wait and hope nothing happens in between the laps. I know cobra is outragious, I had to pay 395 a month just for single coverage and I coldt have gotten new coverage but I had a pre existing cond. that wouldn't have been covered
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 10:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• When his insurance ends depends on how the employer pays the premiums. They should tell him when it will end; if they don't, he needs to ask them. I agree with SMWOODS that you might be better off to just hope nothing happens in the time between coverages. Most of the time, you have to apply for any programs that would help you anyway, and by the time you get an answer, you might already have the new coverage from his new employer anyway.

Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Hey Girl, yes my kids are on Child Health Plus and the reason you are explaining above is how they got on it. And then well I loved it so much I kept them on it. Its based on your income on how much you pay and its great coverage. I will PM you more info.
    TJKUHN76

Answer by TJKUHN76 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You might want to look into COBRA asap... like NOW. I don't know if it's too late.

I think his benefits will expire on his last day at work, regardless of when the premium was paid up to.
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Cobra is very expenceive! To be honest I think all health insurance is a joke! We will never have it! And yes we are well cared for, we just know our other options and use them. ALL of our healthcare costs are covered by our Ameriplan membership OR our HSA OR Both... I see no reason to put huge amounts of money in to an insurance plan so that they can tell me when I'm able to get care and howmuch I can have. We were limited the amount of visits and Rxs we could have in a year with my old insurance, we had high co-pays and still paid them almost $700 a month for 2 people... Now I spend $40/mo for my discount plan and put a few hundred in the bank (HSA)... Should we need any care we just pay it out of our HSA after we get our discounts... We like it much better!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• As far as trying to keep your kids covered for that amount of time goes... It will take at least 30 days to go through the "system" and get them covered... I'm not sure it would be worth it...

Sabrina M Bowen
    www.LowCostBenefitsPlans.com

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You should have him check with HR. I think benefits will expire at the end of the month, but better safe than sorry. It does take a long time to get assistance processed. I would check into it, but since the unemployment rate is so high, the wait is probably even longer. I just got a very inexpensive benefit plan for my whole family. It is so affordable, I will continue to carry it even if I get employer benefits in the future (the deductibles and out of pocket expenses are usually too high for me anyway). PM me if you want more info.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008