Growing Basil Indoors

I have a basil plant in my kitchen window, it always looks sort of droopy and the tips of a few of the leaves are black. It's in indirect sunlight, I water it every other day. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or are basil plants supposed to do that? (This is my only plant in the house, I have a black thumb!)

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• you are probably overwatering or over fertilizing. let it get good and dried out before watering, give a good soaking with good drainage and then let it dry out again before watering. herbs need some good airflow, can you take your plant outside for a few days a week? that will toughen it up a bit and strengthen the stems a bit. you can also take cuttings from basil and reroot in just water, maybe it needs a good pruning?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Hmmm... I would say over watering if it was yellowing. They can stand direct sunlight, I grow it outside in my herb garden. It could be a lack of humidity. Basil leaves turn dark when you dehydrate them or freeze them, that's why most people use them fresh. I would give it more sun and maybe re-pot it. Top it off by taking off the top leaves so it will branch out.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Direct sunlight and take your watering back to every 3rd day.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Why don't you repot in a good nutrient rich soil and let it sit outside for a few hours each day?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My indoor basil gets indirect sunlight and it is doing ok - I live in a desert where direct sunlight will fry it. I don't water as often as you do. I wait until I see the leaves SLIGHTLY drooping, when they feel a little squishier than usual to the touch, then I give a nice long drink. Maybe that's it?
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2010