Homemade household cleaners?

Suggestions on making 'safer' household cleaners to be used around pets and children. I've done vinger and water, bleach and water and dawn soap and water and LOTS of baking soad and water or baking soda dry. Anyother sggestion or sites?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Vinegar* is great for use an all purpose cleaner. It naturally disinfects and deodorizes. The smell is generally gone once the vinegar dries.
    • Mix 1 part vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle. Use this on counter tops and windows.
    • Add ½ a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of your laundry machine. It takes the place of fabric softener.
    • Pour around the rim of your toilet before scrubbing.
    • Run a cup of vinegar through your coffee pot to clean it out.

Lemons and their juice have antibacterial and antiseptic properties, as well as act as a bleaching agent.
    • Place half a lemon in your garbage disposal. No more odors!
    • On white clothes, pour the juice on a stain and place it in the sun. (This even gets the stains out of cloth diapers!)
    • Use it to dissolve soap scum in your bathroom.

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Baking Soda is naturally abrasive and a deodorizer.
    • Dissolve ½ cup of Baking soda in 1 quart of warm water and place in a spray bottle. Once fully dissolved is an amazing cleaner. It works great in bathrooms and kitchens.
    • Turn into a paste to scrub dirt, mildew, grease and most hard to clean items.
    • Sprinkle is smelly shoes, trash cans, on the carpet before vacuuming. Keep some in your refrigerator and freezer.

Mix them together**:
    • For mopping floors, in a bucket, mix 2 gallons of hot water, 2 cups of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
    • For stubborn stains in the bathroom, on counters and stoves, cut a lemon in half and cover the cut end with a healthy helping of baking soda. Then, scrub!

*do not use vinegar on marble
    ** if you mix vinegar and baking soda together it will cause a chemical reaction and bubble up. It is not harmful.
    Courtney610

• ^^^ Those are my basic cleaner recipes!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I clean EVERYTHING with either baking soda, vinegar - or both. Even my hair.
    here is a huge list of things you can clean with just baking soda - and I am sure there are many more not listed on here
    http://www.rd.com/home-garden/extraordinary-uses-for-baking-soda/article23745.html
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 9:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I only use vinegar, water, baking soda, washing soda, borax and castile soap.... pretty much all you need to clean and disinfect everything in your house and your laundry. Yesterday I made my own fabric softener and fabric refresher....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• bump
    nautired

Answer by nautired at 10:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you are really interested in using safer, non-toxic cleaning products that work - I highly recommend the company that I buy my products from - they are much less expensive than store and national brands - they work great - smell great - are safe to use - and are delivered to your home - they are 100% money back , satisfaction guaranteed - we have been using these products for 3 years - and I have recommended them to family and friends - everyone loves them! So - if you want to save money - and use safe, effective, convenient products - don't know about you - but I don't really like the smell of vinegar:) and want to use products that will eliminate germs and bacteria in your home - please contact me and I will provide you with more information.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Be really careful putting together homemade cleaning products. Plenty of times, the people who post recipes for homemade cleaners don't realize that a mistake in measuring, inadequate ventilation, using borax, or using the wrong kind of vessel to make them in can result in problems that can vary from respiratory problems to death from toxic fumes. For example, recently I found a homemade laundry detergent recipe on here that did not contain any safety instructions, and this recipe, if boiled in an aluminum pot, would have caused cyanide gas to form. The poster of that recipe had no idea that her stuff was potentially lethal; she hadn't done the required research.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2010