How to take your child out of daycare?

My son is 22 months. He has been in daycare since 8 months. I will be going on maternity leave here and will not be able to afford daycare. I'm sad I have to do it, because he loves it there. I don't think I'm be able to afford cutting down his days to make a transition either. How did your child(ren) take it? Any suggestions?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have unfortunately had to pull my son from day care a few times. cuz i didnt work enough or wasnt in school enough. it sucks but the child at 22 months especially will not notice much. you explain to him that it's okay he can go see his friends another time much later but for now its gunna be you and him . it'll be okay
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 9:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• give a 2wk notice and have activities for him to do @ home and go to the local library for story time if you can so he can still be around other kids and not miss daycare so much.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Tell him preschool is "all over" for now. And plan replacement activities for him to fill his days. Enjoy being with your son, and spend some quality time with him and your new baby! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I pulled my 2nd one at 3 when he had been in since 5 months, he was SOOO happy to play with his toys with his mommy in his home, I did it because of maternity leave too. Look for play groups, make sure to play with him at home. He will still need to see other kids so make sure to arrange that for him.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I just walked in one day after being told I'd have to stop working due to my BP (I was preggo w/ #2 at the time), let the director know and collected his things. He did fine with not going and he stayed home til he started pre-k about 18mos later.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well. I had the opposite where my son hated the center he went to - hes introverted like me and that setting just made him cringe.. but I agree... tell him that you get to be with mommy now and go back to daycare/school another time or when he gets bigger..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Have you checked out meetup.com? You can join groups based on interests and location. If you join a playdate group, you can get out and have adult conversations still, and he will still be able to play with other kids. Also, I'm sure he'll absolutely love being with you at home! You can take him to the park, on walks, for picnics, play outside, go swimming......the possibilities are endless and the memories will be great. Enjoy your time with your little one, no worries. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Talk to your human services department to see if you can get child care assistance and see if they can help you with the fees if you really want him to stay even for a few days a week to get the interaction with other children. Depending on your income, you will pay a copay or sometimes they can help you with the whole bill depending on your circumstances. Daycare can be a very good thing for your children developmentally. The whole experience depends on what your family's needs are.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I just stopped taking my daughter. She didn't mind. We talked about it and I asked her if she wanted to stay home with mommy for a while and she said yes. That was the end of it... she also didn't end up going back because we enjoyed our time together so much... I'm a little sad she started Kindergarten this week... I've lost my buddy.. lol.
    p88hbear

Answer by p88hbear at 10:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Are you going to be sending him back to daycare after the baby? If so, be careful, because his spot might not be there. You may have to search for a new center and that transition will be way worse then him just being at home. Have you found care for the baby when you go back to work? Check into STD - Short Term Disability - if you have that as a benefit they ususally pay for maternity leave.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010