Morning Breath

My son's morning breath is so foul I actually checked him for poop today. I brushed his teeth, showed him how to use rinse and he brushed his teeth... It never went away... What could stop this? I mean, it's hard to even be close to him because I gag...

He's 4. He brushes his teeth every morning and night before bed... Sometimes a few times through the day... He eats good food too, not junk most of the time... I don't know what else to do... It's gross!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is he brushing the back of his tongue too cause thats really where bad breath comes from. if he does and he still has bad breath it could be a medical issue
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my husbands sister has a open valv so her breath always stinks
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• ewww...I hate morning breath, lol. Well, who loves it, right? lol
    Do you think he may have some type of dental problem? Like gingivitis or something?
    Is he taking any medication? Some meds can cause that.
    Or if he has a constant throat infection that you are not aware of , that doesnt physically bother him to where it hurts but its still there and causing the smell.
    Other than that, I don't know. Try having him use a kids mouth wash, maybe that will help.
    Good Luck...and um...it wouldnt hurt his feelings to use a medical mask around him, would it? LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We always brush his tongue, but way in the back makes him gag, so we do what we can... But that's why we do mouth wash. He's got great teeth, no dental problems that his dentist or doctor can find. And no, he's not on meds...

How would we go about finding out if it's a "valve" issue?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Does he have allergies so he has some drainage? I have some daycare children that arrive in the morning with green fog emitting from their mouth I swear. I keep toothbrushes and toothpaste here so everyone gets their teeth brushed at least once a day. Sounds like you are on the same thought pattern as me.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• No allergies, and I haven't seen any drainage issues, but how would I check for something like that?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• He may need to go to the bathroom,or he may have a cavity.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010