My husband is in AIT right now, he got orders for Fort Lewis WA. We do not want to go that far away from our hometown, so he got offered to trade with a guy for Fort Riley, KS. I need to know if anyone knows anything about fort riley. whetther its a good move or not

armywife4110

Asked by armywife4110 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Travel

• I do not know as my husband is air force, but being a military wife I have to point out that you will probably have to move pretty far from your home town at some point! I mean, you go where they tell you to go....and you make do :-)
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Kansas is in Tornado Alley.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My exhusband was a marine, and I lived everywhere with him,,,so yes I will have to move at some point. I guess I didn't clarify when I wrote my question...My mother is 71 years old, and my father just passed away last year, so I'm tryingto stay close to her until his next duty station...Her health is not the best and me and my daughters are all she really has left to hold onto...
    And I'm ok with Washington just not the distance. so I'm looking for some info on Fort Riley Kansas to decide whether to go to Kansas or to Washington
    armywife4110

Comment by armywife4110 (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I lived in Fort Leonard Wood Missouri for 3 years and yes its tornado alley, thats why I'm looking for the pros and cons on Fort Riley and on Fort Lewis...So we can decide which is the best for our family
    armywife4110

Comment by armywife4110 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We are stationed near Fort Lewis so if you wind up heading there let me know if you have any questions. I will bump you and see if there are any Mom's that might be able to answer your question.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• All I know about Ft Riley is that its in the middle of nowhere Kansas...
    Ft Lewis is BEAUTIFUL though! But I understand wanting to be closer to family.
    We are stationed in alabama now which is the closest we've been to family in a good long while :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh, I forgot, My husband is actually on TDY in Ft Riley this weekend- I just put him on the plane an hour ago actually... I'll ask him what he thinks and get back with you :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Fort Riley is in the Flint Hills of Kansas which is pretty but there really isn't much to do. It is close to Kansas State Univ. but that is about it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010