My sons three and>>>

My son;s three( as of tomorrow) and I hav ebeen working with him with potty training. I put him on it once in a while til he knew what to do then I started putting him in big boy underwear and having him sit on it tons through the day. It seems like he holds it untill he cant anymore then just goes down his leg.... any tips or tricks? I also tried the rewards for going it seems like he just doesnt care.

vanillabean3

Asked by vanillabean3 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe he's just not ready? I would wait and start again later maybe he will be more ready then.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i dont know im still struggling with a 4 year old. she hasnt worn diapers or pullups in 4-5 months because i thought that was hindering her progress....i was right to an extent but if she is busy she will just go in her pants, my pediatrican said once an hour make her og sit on the potty till she goes. and that is all i can say to do. it works somewhat.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• When I potty trained my youngest son, I completely stopped buying pull-ups because if you constantly go from underwear to pull-ups it will only confuse him. I would try tactics like sitting him on his potty chair and put him in front of the tv, or even give him a toy or his cup, something to make him feel more comfortable. Think about it, if you were trying to go you would want to be comfortable, correct? Once he feels really comfortable, he will do it in the pot or even in the bathroom with no problem. You just have to find a way that you are most comfortable with to let him know that when he does use the bathroom on himself is not a good thing, just as you have with when he uses the pot.
    dirtyswifey10

Answer by dirtyswifey10 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I let my son get his "last"pull up out of his box one night before bed. I explained to him that he was a big boy and tomorrow he was going to go potty on the potty and wear underwear. He woke up the next day and I refused to put a pull up on him...He peed on EVERYTHING. the next day wasn't much better but he did tell me once that he had to go and I was SOOOOO excited! He got a prize everytime he went potty and a sticker. After the first week he forgot about the prizes and stickers and always pees on the potty. He doesn't like to stop what he's doing to go potty so we'll say Ï'm going to go potty first"and he hops up and runs in and says "haha I win'It's great! Best of luck I know it's frustrating
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 10:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Chris will be three in a couple months and we have been working on the potty training for awhile. I have had the most progress since I did away with the little potty chairs and moved up to a training seat for the real toilet. I think my son feels more comfortable using it than having to hunch down on a little potty chair (make sure he points down or you will be mopping the floor). We only use "big boy" undies during the day with plastic diaper covers on (some times) and pull up type pants for night time or real long trips (over an hour). I put him on the potty during the day around the times I noticed he would be more likely to have an accident. (I know who is really getting trained?) I also use static cling numbers I got from staples to count the number of days we go without an accident (up to 7 in a row so far). Good luck and be consistant.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• bump for ya and gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2010