A estate Sale? When there's no income?

My DH lost his job 19 months ago. He would have been there 25 years. No more then just a good bye., No insurance Etc.. Then all year I've been battling Breast Cancer. Soon his UEC runs out.. Do you think we can make money selling everything in an estate sale to get us by? Good or bad idea? Will people be kind or there to take advantage!? What do you think? Your kind favor to reply is appreciated. Thank you!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I believe an estate sale is when someone passes away and a company comes in and has a garage sale with the stuff.I would just start putting stuff on Ebay or Craigslist and make sure you give a firm price so that you know you're not getting taken. Good Luck!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You can-- sell stuff you don't need. I would def. be interested. HOw about selling on e-bay? DO you have a ton of stuff to sell?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think it really depends on how you do it. Like a pp said, usually an estate sale is when someone dies, and most of the time they're done as an auction. Most people go to auctions hoping for a good deal, looking for that "perfect find at a great, low price". You might have some friends, neighbors, etc that would be nice about it, but generally speaking, I don't think most of the people would be aware or caring of your situation :-(

I think if you were to have a fixed price on things you would have a better chance at raising money. Also, have you considered talking to your church (if you attend one), or to other organizations in your community to see if they could help you? This sounds like the sort of situation that you often see communities doing fundraisers for, etc. That might be better than selling everything you own.

Good luck to you both, and I hope your health and situation improves soon!!!!!!!!!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Linda, EBay may be a good way for you to go. You can fit it into your schedule and don't have to have face to face interaction with anyone. They don't need to know why you are selling and you won't feel like they are taking advantage of your situation.
    cafeclubmom

Answer by cafeclubmom at 11:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• no, don't estate... yard sale, craigslist ebay.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• u can sell ur stuff but be careful b/c people will try and take the price way down see if u can sell jewlery first
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• People want a deal. They are not trying to take advantage of you. If you need money, the value of the merchandise is what the buyer will pay. It is like saying I won't work for minimum wage because I am worth more. But you cannot get a job and so you make nothing. Is nothing what you are worth?
    What I am trying to say is that when times are rough, you have to work for or sell things for what you can get. This is usually not top price.
    Good luck.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010