abuse or no?

Is it ever okay to put your hand over your childs mouth while they are throwing a fit and screaming?

(And NO I absolutely do NOT do this)

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure it's abuse but it is certainly inappropriate imho

Answer by admckenzie at 10:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• OK, I'm tired. What's so wrong with putting your hand over the kids mouth? Not abuse.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well it really depends on the situation. There have been a few times where I'll cover her mouth, and kind of pat it (you know so they end up making that "baa baaa baaa baaa" type noise), and calmly tell DD to calm down. Sometimes it's been very effective in resulting in a silly enough noise to get her to stop crying and start giggling. Or if we're in a really quiet room, I've gently covered her mouth quickly (typically a finger or two to muffle, not really "hand over mouth") long enough to rush her out of the room.

To be rough and cover half their face with your hand isn't acceptable.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 10:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Notta. Negative. It's totally fine. Geez.... do ya know how many times my parents did that to me? I am just fine with it...

I am...

Really, I am just fine....

Shut up voices...

LOL!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't see putting hand over mouth as abuse, but if you're hitting their face when you do it... that's another story.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We do that. I don't see it as abuse. it is just a way to get them to stop screaming. We talk calmly to them while this is happening, always asking if they are done screaming. It is usually something only done between the ages of 2 and 4 as by then they know not to scream. We also let them know that being upset is fine, and what they are feeling is fine, it is the way they are expressing themselves that is not okay.
    mzfam99

Answer by mzfam99 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I could see if you were covering their mouth very tightly or something that being bad, but I dont think covering their mouth is abuse.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It depends on the situation and the manner in which you are doing it - I've put my hand over DS's mouth before because he's screaming about something or other and we're in a public place and no amount of reminders to keep quiet are working; but certainly never forcefully or in a manner that impedes his breathing. It just works as a physical reminder to him to stop screaming. However if you're actually forcing your child's mouth shut with your hand, I would think that would be abusive.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't see that as abuse
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• that is a good question i do not belive in beating a child however when a child needs to be spanked i think it is only ok to spank them on the butt now if the are screamers do it at home. if they throw fits at a store take them out to the car and give a small spank and time out when u get home but no matter wha t u do someone out there is always going to think your a bad parent..
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010