Race and circumcision

Do you think that race has anything to do with it?
I'm not asking if it's right or wrong.

BoundHearts

Asked by BoundHearts at 10:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• no
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Nope, I don't. My boys are half Mexican, half white, and they're not circumcised. Out of the 6 boys MIL had, half are, half are not. I think it has more to do with when the boy was born than race. At one time people believed many myths regarding the practice and as time goes on, its less and less. The last I heard, circumcision rates were less than 30% for my state.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i dont think so i feel like its more of what the family belives in i have 2 boys and i didnt do it and i am mexican i feel like its just not right..
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son is white and not circumcised.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• it's really a family thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• no, and truthfully no one's gonna know except a doctor and a future mate
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is sometimes a cultural thing, but not really "race".
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No religion and personal choices have to do with it. Not one male in dh family is cut they are catholic, Though my Mormon family is all cut.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• it is less common among catholics and universal in jewish and islamic societies. The males in our family are all circumcised - we are not catholic , jewish or islamic
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Race doesn't have anything to do with it though your culture certainly can. Our decision was taken out of our hands by the fact that our son was quite premature and very small. I just could NOT see inflicting that on him when he was having other physical trouble. For boys sicker than ours I imagine it just plain isn't an option at birth. Would you wait and THEN have your son circumcised? I couldn't. Just me I suppose though. Anyway, my Japanese-American husband is circumcised and my Half Japanese - Half Caucasian son is not.
    ReadingMama2

Answer by ReadingMama2 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2010