What are some reasons my daughter has started licking herself??????

emilee just started this licking her arms legs and hands and feet jsut about a month ago im unsure of y she is doin this i dont know if its the stress of her back and forth routine with her father and i or what im worried 4 her!!!

echokays

Asked by echokays at 10:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• because it's summer, she's sweating, it's salty, and tastes good to her.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• well, you're posting this in the toddler section, so I'm going to guess that she's toddler-age. Toddlers do some very strange things, licking herself seems completely normal to me. She is probably doing it to get some sort of reaction out of you.
    This will be one of many, many, many things she will do that will make you go "seriously, wth?"
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• well i only worry about it because her father seems to think its the end of the world and im just trying to get some advice
    echokays

Comment by echokays (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• oh and has she seen any cats lately? just remembered my daughter imitating our cat LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Probably a sensory thing- kids love the feel of stuff on their tounges, as do most people. That is why candy and stuff is made to pop, fizz, bubble and so on- but she's young and doesn't understand that society thinks that's odd. :-) Just keep reminding her that it is germy and dirty, she'll phase out of it. The real problem comes when she starts licking OTHER kids.

Yeah, I was the parent that had to deal with the weird licker kid. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• lol when she is with me shes around cats and i thought at first that was what it was but ive heard from different places it could b due to her being overwhelmed with her living situations thats only reason im questioning it now
    echokays

Comment by echokays (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The more you react about it, the more she is going to do it... that wouldn't be a way of showing stress.. crying or sadness in general. Licking is just an odd charateristic of a toddler :)) They are strange!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• lol thxs im just exploring all my opitions
    echokays

Comment by echokays (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much about it, as pp's have said, toddlers do strange things, just remind her it's not something she should be doing. You know how some kids will chew their fingernails? Well one of my sons chewed his toe nails...we'd just tell him not to and eventually he stopped doing it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My fifteen month old likes his self and his baby..... he also tried to eat lotion and diaper cream lol. I dont let him but it is still funny :)
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010