At what point is it considered PPD?

I am 4 1/2 months postpartum, and still not feeling right. I'm not going to~or thinking of~hurting myself or my baby, but I am still very upset and feel SO guilty about having a c-section etc. Shouldn't I be far enough past it now to be over it? I am breastfeeding, so I don't want to take anything. I break down any time I hear/read anyone mention birth or vbac etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I felt the same way and I was 5 months postpartum and My OB gave me something to take to help me. We (husband, son, and daughter, and myself) moved into my mom's house bc I couldn't stay at our new house. after a few weeks of taking the meds I felt much better. I breastfed/feed and what I took was safe for the baby.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It's called post partum psychosis when you are depressed enough to hurt yourself or your children. Mental health professionals use something called the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale to decide if someone has PPD. Here it is.

http://www.breastbabyproducts.com/postpartumdepressionscale.html

You can take antidepressants and breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• UP to 2 years... your body deals with the hormones for a long time. Your mind deals with more for longer. Get yourself to the doc and ask for help- even if you are nursing. There are safe things you can take and do- and it really makes life so much better for you and your family.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I've been there. I had an unessesary c-section with my firstborn. It was very traumatic. Long story short, I developed such a high fever that the epidural failed and so I felt the whole c-section because the pain med was going to fight the fever the anestesiologist said. It was horrible. It was so bad that I refused to see the dr after that surgery. Even when it was my 6 wk chekup and 1 week checkup for stitches to be removed, I saw a different dr. I didn't get over it totally until I had a successful vbac 3.5 yrs later. I still am not happy about the first birth dr but having the vbac with a different dr and different hospital helped 99.9% of it. Know that you are an awesome mom! You're bf and that's not easy! Educate yourself for your next birth if you're planning one on vbacs if that's what you want. They have a big success rate. You might want to get a midwife. Just remember when you hire a surgeon you usually get surgery.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Sweetie,
    I have suffered with PPD and Depression my whole life. I take zoloft which is the safest thing. It is safe to take during pregnancy and while breastfeeding and it makes such a big difference. Please go to see your Doctor sweetie and get something to take. It will make such a huge difference in your life.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I had PPD after the birth of my 3rd child. It was horrible and I couldn't stop crying or even yelling for that matter. My moods were all over the place. I was put on zoloft and it changed my world. I am currently pregnant with my 5th, due in 2 weeks and am still taking the meds. Its safe to take while pregnant and while breastfeeding. Contact your doctor so you don't have to feel like this anymore. Best wishes!!!
    MissChris

Answer by MissChris at 12:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You don't necessarily have to want to hurt yourself or your baby to be considered depressed. I have PPD, I've had it since the birth of my 10 month old DD & it started with obsessive thoughts that something was going to happen (we were going to die, etc) then after I lost my milk supply months later, it turned to saddness & anger.
    If you don't feel right, please get seen by a doctor. You CAN feel better & there are medications you can safely take while breastfeeding. I hope you feel better soon, good luck!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010