Is being a stay at home mom and living in public housing discrimation?

My friend has to move into public housing. Her husband is the only one that works. His check is being granished at .25%, of what he grosses. They do not receive food stamps, medicare, or sections 8, nothing no help from the government because they make to much money for any help. After signing their contract my friend was informed that she would have to do community service because she does not work. She feels as if it discrimation toward her being a stay at home mom. Now here is what their policy states:Policy Statment:It is the policy of the Housing Authority of H******** that all non-exempt adult members of a household residing in public housing and receving welfare assistance participate in a Community Service or Economic Self-Sufficiency Program

So please give me some advice that is soild and that I may bring back to her! Thanks for all your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• This is The Quote: "Policy Statment:It is the policy of the Housing Authority of H******** that all non-exempt adult members of a household residing in public housing and receving welfare assistance participate in a Community Service or Economic Self-Sufficiency Program"

So on that basis I would question it too, on being a requirement of her housing. If she wants to fight it then I suggest that she contact a lawyer, otherwise just go along with it & do what they say. I would say that it is not a discrimination issue but they do seem to be in error in requiring her to do the community service since she is not on "welfare".

Goodluck in finding the answers you need.

crystalsdreamm

Answer by crystalsdreamm at 12:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I think this a WONDERFUL idea. Why is she so against community service? She is getting help because of a choice she made, then she has to follow the rules. If she doesn't like it, tell her to get a job and move out of public housing!! No one forced her to go there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the previous poster. I think Community Service is an excellent idea and it will teach the kids how to give back. Why would she possibly feel discriminated against and why is she against helping out a community that is helping her out?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That is not discrimination, that is a requirement of her state in order to receive public assistance in the form of housing.

What advice is there to give? If she and you don't like it - you will need to vote or lobby for different programs.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 10:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• This is great! At this day and age it is so hard to be a stay at home mom. I know it's what we all dreamed about, but I never had that luxury. My husband and I both worked full time, took our two children to daycare..(which is I cried about all the time), but we did not ever ask for assistance... It's just the way the world works...IMO, if times are that hard, yes.. she should find a job... I think it you require assistance.. it is your responsibility as a member of our society to try to make things better for yourself to be able to not need assistance... Just think, she may be taking up the place of some single mother of three children who does not have a husband to help her out... This single mother is probably busting her butt.... That is the lady that deserves to have government assistance IMO...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sounds like a great idea.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 10:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Why? Because she signed a paper that says "all NON-EXEMPT of a household residing in public housing and receiving welfare assistance participate in a Community Service or Economic Self-Sufficiency Program"
    I can't believe this is even an issue. So, she is going through difficult times. We ALL are going through difficult times. I would thankfully give up my time without question for assistance. We make too much money for help....$200 too much. She should suck it up like the rest of the people and not question it at all. Just do what is asked of her or get a job at different hours of her husbands so he could stay with the kids if child care is an issue. There is ALWAYS a way.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Her rights as a SAHM? Its a choice to stay at home with your children. Its hard to make ends meet, but if someone was paying my rent or mortgage, or even just helping out (ex: the .25% garnish of what he grosses... common, thats not much) I'd be happy to give back by doing community service. Sounds like she's being selfish, IMO. She should do the community service with a smile and get over herself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Here in Colorado if you are caring for children under the age of 6 you are considered exempt. However if your children are over 6 you are required to work in order to receive any assistance and here public housing is considered assistance. If you are not working you have to complete so many hours (30) of community service and make 3 job contacts a week. My MIL and SIL work for the Department of Health and Human Services so I am aware of all the ins and outs. I would be able to find some type of documentable useful public service that I could do even with my young daughter in tow while my son was in school. I think that it is a good idea. Just like Habit for Humanity requires that you put in either 25 or 50 hours depending on your family situation of work on the house you will be getting.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Public housing is a form of government assistance, the rent is based on a percentage of salary and the rest is subsidized by tax dollars. I have no problem with subsidized housing or folks being on public assistance, but I also have no problem with folks who are recieving the financial support of taxpayers and their communities to be expected to give back to the community in other ways, such as community service.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2008