I'm looking for a serger, but don't have a ridiculous amount of money nor the need for too many extras. What would you suggest?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• go to wal-mart to look for a cheap one or ask tve people what you can use instead
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• try ebay?
    bobo69

Answer by bobo69 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I got mine at walmart for about $100 works perfectly fine for what I need it to do.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Go on craigslist.org and find one for sale. You will find someone close to home that is trying to sell one for a minimum amount. That is how I found one of my knitting machines.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 11:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Before you buy anything, go to an independent dealer, and ask them to show you how all of their models work. Ask to thread them, ask to try out the different types of stitches, and to see how you change them. Take a variety of fabrics. Remember you're just testing, you don't even have to buy from them, but it will give you an idea what you want to look for....and sometimes they have used trade ins for good prices. Some machines are very easy to thread, and to use, others are so challenging that you won't want to use them. I teach serger classes, and I've worked on nearly every brand and numerous models. There are some that I just wouldn't have, and others I love. My favorite brand is Babylock, but Janome, Viking and Bernina make some great models too. I would rather wait and by a machine that I loved to use, than to buy a machine because I could afford it, and hate using it.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010