Will washing fruits and vegetables reduce risk of ADHD in children?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38763223/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/
Researchers found that the risk of attention disorders rose with increasing levels of metabolites — substances created when pesticides break down — measured in a pregnant woman’s urine. For each tenfold increase in pesticide metabolites in a mom’s system, the risk of an attention disorder rose fivefold in her child, according to the report published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

Pregnant women worried about the findings should lower the risk to their fetuses by carefully washing fresh fruits and vegetables before eating them, suggests Brenda Eskenazi, a study co-author and director of the University of California at Berkeley’s Center for Children’s Environmental Health. Other experts suggest that pregnant women should eat organic fruits and vegetables when possible.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 11:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• There are many undetermined causes of add/adhd symptoms.

Pesticides buildup in the skin on fruits & vegetables. I always peel fruits & vegetables that I have purchased, but not what I have grown. You should ALWAYS wash your food before cutting or eating. To avoid pesticides, buy organic.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• read Silent Spring and you will realize how toxic pesticides are.

I have not read this particular article. However, since pesticides cause all kinds of health issues up to and including death to people who handle them, I wouldn't be surpised.

Besides that, washing fruit and veggies prevents Ecoli thats enough reason to wash for me.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 9:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I just heard something about that on the news tonight. Really you should always wash your fruits and veggies before consuming them if for no other reason than that you have no way of knowing who has handled them before you purchased them. What they are saying may be right in some instances, it may contribute to ADHD, On the other hand, my son has it and when I carried him I was careful to stay away from pesticides and always washed fruits and veggies before we used them. Pesticides may be responsible for some cases but not for all cases...imo.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think we all should eat as organic as possible.. the things they do to our foods now days is horrible.. some veggies/fruits im starting to question if they should not be put into the "processed" catagory!
    Between altering the dna of our foods... to how they plant it.. grow it.. put pesticides on it.. pick it too soon.. coat it with "pretty wax" so you will buy it..and repeatly wash it in crap while its sitting in the store. Its not very natural at all! :(
    .... and all that cant be what nature/ god (which ever you lean to) intended!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I eat organic veggies and fruits only...I still wash all though!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• No.  I have ADHD and so does my daughter and I don't eat vegetables or fruit.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2010