Try to find a source. Here are some common problems and solutions.
1. Fear or discomfort of dark. My daughter had it even as a tiny baby. Try a nightlight or leaving the door cracked so the child feels less alone.
2. Stomach or digestive discomfort. Try giving the child gas drops, peppermint or warm milk before bed to calm any of those issues.
3. Tempature can be a problem. Try giving more or fewer blankets. A space heater or fan.
4. Noise. Try a white noise machine or fan.
5. Distraction of feeling left out. Have one parent allow the child to help "tuck in" the other parent the same way the child is tucked in. Explain how the child has to be quiet and sleep or the other adult wont be able to either.
6. Have a routine. Calming bath, story in the rocking chair, etc.
at 11:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010