Would it be rude to buy her a gift for the baby?

My neighbor will be having her baby any time and the next time I go to the store I would like to buy her a box of diapers or something for the little one. My husband says that would be rude because its insinuating that she can't take care of her baby. I think that's silly, I mean people have baby showers all the time right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is not rude at all, it is very thoughtful. I think a lot of people wish they had neighbors like that. I bet it is something she will always remember.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It's not rude. It's thoughtful. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think it's rude. I'd love some free diapers :) then again, you could always get a toy or outfit or something if he feels that way.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• get her the gift. she will appreciate it not look down on it. you dh is being silly.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Okay so with that assumption, can he not afford to buy himself whatever he wants on his birthday when people buy HIM a gift?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think it's rude, especially if you're wrapping it or putting it in a gift bag.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• nope not rude. Unless it's HER birthday, then buy her something. But otherwise, baby stuff is always cool.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Your dh is being a butt! Sorry... but it is a nice gesture that I am sure your neighbor would appreciate. Buy size 1-2 not newborns :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• not rude at all!! i wish ppl woulda given me diapers instead of clothes/toys..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i dnt think its rude...i prayed that i got mostly diapers for my shower...bcuz they are soooo expensive....although my sister thinks its being lazy when you buy diapers as a gift...she says you're not putting thought in it....plzzz diapers are the BEST!!!!
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 11:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010