Can a Cyst turn into a tumor?? adult content

About two years ago, An ultrasound Identified that I had a cyst on my ovary. Less than two months later I had a "durmoid tumor" that was so large it had to be removed via surgery.
Now A laproscopy confirmed I have a cyst on my other ovary.
My question is "Can a cyst turn into a tumor? If so, how?"

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 12:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• No, a cyst can not turn into a tumor. A cyst is a fluid filled sack. A tumor, on the otherhand, is an enlarged mass of tissue. A tumor begins it's life as a tumor and though it may look like a cyst in it's early stages, the blood supply is easily identifiable via ultrasound. On an u/s a cyst will appear as a black blob, and a tumor will show up as a grayish white blob.

Cysts are very common on the ovary, and any woman with a regular menstrual cycle will have a cyst in some stage of development on her ovary 50% of the time during her reproductive life. You see the follicles that we build each month that release an egg at ovulation are actually cysts. The cyst that showed on your ovary could very well be a follicular cyst building.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 12:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• im not sure but i did have a cyst on my ovary the size of a grapefruit my ruptured so i cant really help but im def giving you a bump!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The first cyst I had, my OBGYN said it turned into a tumor. Thats why I was confused. It grew from 1cm to <7cm in under two months, I was 4 months pregnant. It twisted and cut off the blood to my ovary so we had an emergency surgery. Now this cyst they found on my other ovary has me freaked out.
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The OGBYN told me the "rush of hormones" that comes with being pregnant is what made the tumor grow so large, so fast.
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2010