grand daughter cut her hair because she was told it was ugly

my five year old grand daughter was told by another student in her kindergarten class her hair was ugly. I know kids will be kids...but honestly I don't remember my children worrying about the name calling in kindergarten. Is today's society so much different? My grand daughter cut a chuck of her hair out with her little scissors and came home saying her hair was ugly so she cut it...I'm baffled those scissors would not cut paper let alone hair...so now her mother is telling grand daughter she is beautiful, as am I......this is the only approach we know to take......I want to know where the teacher was when this took place. I can't get over how fast children grow up these day's

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• children are that cruel now days..my question would also be where was the teacher... i can remember in first grade a boy wanted to touch me in the wrong places and im now 26..if it was that bad when i was in first grade i cant imagine what its like now..but i would suggest having the teacher talk to the other child and have the children seperated
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have to say that in some ways it is better and some ways it is worse. I tend to think that kids now a days are more acceptable disabilities and differences. We are teaching tolerance and it is coming through in the youth. However is there children out there that have heard these things at home and repeat them at school, certainly. There are always going to be students in a class that a child would be wise to avoid that is just something that has to be learned. Also I think despite teaching our kids with the best of intentions, with manners and discipline that is not to say that they are not going to go to school and say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing from time to time. I hope that I have instilled in my little ones when they are away from me they should behave exactly the same but as an adult I know that is not going to happen every second they are away.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You did the right thing, and I would be calling the teacher or principal to find out the what, where and when!! Then I would take your granddaughter to a kids haircut place, and have a nice professional, age appropriate cut and style--to make her feel like a princess. And buy her a bunch of cute hair accessories! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Thats exactly what we did! Had her hair cut by a professional and bought her something special!

Daughter called the school and they apologized...but still she ask why the teacher was not watching....typical answer...so many children.....I say get an assistant to help!
    tracylyn245

Comment by tracylyn245 (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010