It Wrong too.. and Right too..

Is it wrong to put a 4yr old or 9yr old or any age of a kid in there room if they wont stay in timeout or the conner and when there put in there room they wont stay they come out so is it wrong to make them stay in there by standing there and holding the door shut for the amount of time that there age is for example the 4yr old keep her in there for 4mins and a 10yr old keep her in there for 10mins.

And is it the proper and right thing to do to talk to a kid after timeout to make sure they fully understand why they had to take that timeout so you know there understanding it?

baby_mama012

Asked by baby_mama012 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well i think its b ok i went to a parenting class where they told me to shut the door and ignore them tell they decided 2 b quite and come out and explain y they were sent to their rooms n the first place
    echokays

Answer by echokays at 12:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't hold the door shut, but otherwise, I don't see the problem. Standing there and not allowing them to run out is one thing, but I wouldn't lock them in their room or hold the door shut.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't think it's wrong, but if the kid is on the other side of the door kicking/screaming/pulling on the door, they probably aren't going to learn correct behavior from the timeout.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I couldn't image doing that but never put my 3 year old in time out.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Look into "123 Magic" you can order it from amazon for about 10 dollars.  It is really helpful for disciplining young children and yes they advocate holding the door if needed but that timeouts should only for a short period of time, about a minute for their age.  They also say not to talk afterwards but that the slate is clean.  Kids know why they get in trouble unless it is really an odd or different situation.  So basically for a three year old you would say, "That's a 1 for not listening" (behavior happens again within a few minutes or doesn't stop)"That's a 2" .... "That's a 3, take 3"  and send them to their room or timeout spot.  They do talk about kids who won't stay in their rooms.  I really recommend it!

psugal

Answer by psugal at 4:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• bump and GL momma!!!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2010