How can i get her to sleep?

My daughter has always been a good sleeper. She slept through the night when we brought her home from the hospital. She's almost a year old now and tonight she just won't stop crying. We've tried everything and nothing has worked. Warm bath with "suthing baby wash", bottle, cearl (she doesn't want food or drink), she doesn't need changed, she doesn't want to play, she doesn't want to be rocked, she doesn't want to be put down but she doesn't want to be held. Its been three hours and she hasn't stopped crying. What can i do?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 12:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest actually did something similar twice, once around 16 months, other around 2.5. He had no fever and would just scream. The first time he actually passed out. We were terrified. We were on our own in another country and realized we didn't know the local version of 911 or where a hospital was. When he came to, he vomited all over the place a couple of times and then started chatting.

The second time he couldn't sleep (also a great sleeper) and kept waking up screaming and crying. He had an ear infection and what we think was strep (we were on vacation in Mexico. The doc just said his throat and ears were infected.)

I would take a little olive oil and put a drop or 2 in each ear to see if it soothes her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Take her temperature for starters, so I can rule out fever.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• maybe she is teething? I would suggest tylenol if you could get her to take that..my dd had a horrible cold starting a few weeks ago and was like this..i gave her a little tylenol to make it til the next morn and sure enough she ended up being sick..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• There were several times where we'd gone through the whole list of "what's wrong?"... and when you get to the end of the list and rule out all the obvious answers... more often than not the problem was ME keeping her up with my attempts to sooth her..... so... have you tried tucking her into her bed and leave her alone for 10-15ish min?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• How old is she?

Maybe an ear infection?
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh, also, my DD has ALWAYS loved it outside, looking at the trees, etc. Sometimes it was as simple as stepping out the back door and pacing the patio for a couple minutes would get her to calm down. Just another idea.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Gas (has she pooped recently enough)? Is she too hot or too cold (too much or too little clothing)?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You know, now that I think of it, our pedi said 3+ hours of non-stop inconsolable crying and... I can't remember, they either said DEFINITELY call the after hours nurse, or just to take her in to the ER or clinic. So if still nothing is working, call your doc!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Check all of her fingers and toes. Sometimes hair gets wrapped around a little digit and cuts off the circulation. You could also try some gas drops, maybe her tummy is upset. Do you think she could be teething? Feel her little gums and see of there are any bumpy spots, if that is what is wrong you can give ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• she doesn't have a fever
    SolaraDarkset

Comment by SolaraDarkset (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2010