Did the relationship w you and your kid's dad not work out?

My BF poorly dumped me thru text a week ago. We haven't spoke since. Problem is, I'm 7 mos preg. I'm getting over the relationship slowly, but I'm nervous about the baby - IDK what his role will be w the baby (he made it sound and seem as if he'd always be involved) and I don't know whether or not he'll even be around. IDK how to confront him...or even if I should.

I know everyone's different, and I know there's a lot of moms on CM who have or are dealing w something similar...so if this happened, what did the dad do? What happened to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Better now than after the baby.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Nope it didn't work out. We split early into my pregnancy. My DD's father and I never talk... He's only made one attempt to see her as well and she's 14 months old. It's whatever though. We're both remarried now and MUCH happier... So it works out for the best. He pays child support so his job is handled.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my DD's father & I were married when we had our DD. We got divorced this year. He initially said he was going to file for full custody (yeah right, over my fucking dead body) We later came to a custody arrangement which said that he would have her every other weekend & one day during the week. Yeah well, that does not happen. He NEVER takes her during the week, & he takes her on his weekends, unless something better comes up. I actually prefer it that way to be honest. I will never keep him from her, but I do not go out of my way to create a relationship for them
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter's dad said he would always be around and he always has been. We're really close friends now and he's an amazing dad. He can be completely trusted and I know I can rely on him. He sees our daughter every day even though he lives an hour away and he gets her every other weekend.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 12:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• With me and my daughters dad, it happened three months after she was born. I had to push the issue that our child needed her dad and when we went to court i had told the judge the same thing. but after that he has had alot of role in her life. We made it where she know no matter what she is safe and loved and we will go out with my husband and his wife and kids and do family activites and it has been better for her...
    Awarren

Answer by Awarren at 12:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No it didnt. He has never met our son and has not helped me in any way since 9/9/09. He is in the army and stationed in Hawaii so that is part of the reason he has not seen him but at the same time he has had chances to come but always comes up with excuses. he is married now with a newborn daughter and adopting his wifes daughter from a previous relationship. I am in a realtionship now with a wonderful man who loves my son, and that makes it somewhat okay for me.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• well my daughters father stayed with me till our baby girl was 6 months then he got dumb and left taking my baby with him i have fought and still fighting 4 my lil girl we have split custody rite now but im concerned bout her well beinging when she with him so im thinking bout taking him back to court jsut watch out things can change n a split second and i wouldnt wish the pain that conflict can intail on anyone!!!!
    echokays

Answer by echokays at 12:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Make the effort to make boundaries now, he is still a man and still not good with this sort of stuff.

example
    ask if he wants to help out for the first little bit when you get out the hospital...like the 1st 6 weeks, if he can come over and help so you can rest, take a bath, etc... or just so he can spend time with your LO

Then make it a point to let him know that you want him in her life, that he is daddy so he has just as much right as you, and you don't want him to feel weird about coming by to see him/her.

Just be vocal, I wish you luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010