HELP!!

my 2 yr old son keeps hitting his 7month old sister.. I dont know why... Everytime she crys he will hit her and say bad,.. I have to put him in time out but its not working he keeps doing it and doing it .. I have tryed everything taking his toys aways and everything.. What can i do to make him stop this... Plus when i tell him No he screams to the top of his lungs...im about to go crazy.... thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There was another mother that I had told this to and here is what I have done. You have to include the baby as though the baby is everyone's baby. You must tell him that he cannot hurt his baby or let any one else hurt his baby. Then explain to him that he is hurting the baby. Ask him what he would think if someone came and hit him. Ask do you like it when someone hits you? Doesn't it hurt? Why do you want to hurt the baby? That is OUR baby we have to love our baby we love-love the baby love-love and reinforce a soft touch by hugging, "petting", kissing or however you see it fit to teach your children to show affection. I have done this with my older two and they are great with my babies and my 15 month old is now getting the picture that he is not allowed to hurt our three week old.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Is there any reason that he would think crying is bad? If so, address that issue.

Otherwise, choose 1 form of punishment and be stern and consistent. Good luck!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He's being a typical 2 yr old unfortunately what he's doing isn't appropriate. I suggest removing the baby when he does it to a safe area like a play yard or crib and give her a toy or something then go chat with the 2 yr old in a calm easy to understnad manner that its wrong to hit. Time outs should be only 2 mins at that age and isolated from things. Try putting him facing a corner in a chair. If he gets up keep putting him in the chair til he stays for 2 mins. Praise him when he's being good to dd. SHOW him to hug her and kiss her.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He could be learning this from daycare, or maybe from your SO if he treats your toddler bad.
    Otherwise, Good Luck in stopping his inappropriate behavior!
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 12:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with Sweet. Show him how to interact with the baby... show him how to hug her and give her kisses. It new to him so hes unsure how to deal with her!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 1:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2010