How can I get people around me to help potty train my 2 year old ?

amyfaithmom

Asked by amyfaithmom at 1:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• If he has to stay with a sitter for a bit which is usually my mom cousin or aunt. I just ask them to continue what i am doing.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Whoever cares for your child should model your approach to potty-training. Just show them what you've been doing.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with the previous posters. The people that care for the child need to be consistently working with the mother. Your little one's schedule needs to be completely consistent, or he will backpedal - I have to set a timer to go off every 30 minutes during the day to take Glenn potty (or we make frequent stops if we're driving somewhere, shopping, etc.) because the consistency is so important.

If your child is visiting someone and they are not willing to work with him on potty training in the SAME way you were, I would tell them that you don't feel comfortable with the visit until he is finished potty training or until they decide to work with you.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010