can i give brocolli to my 5 month old?

i read somewhere i wasnt supose o im just not sure wear or if im remembering it wrong i decided i was going to make my sons food out of organig steamed fruits and veggies but im not sure if i can use brocollis any other veggies or fruits im not supose to use on a 5 month old

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would start with something a little less harsh on the system like sweet potato, butternut squash or carrots. Mashed bananas (or any fruit) were always a fave at our house.

Broccoli can be hard on an adult system (makes DH very gassy) and the taste is not always a favorite. It might be best to introduce it when baby doesn't need purees as much.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't give a 5 month old broccoli.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The problem with broc at that age is you're going to really have to cook it to death probably to get it pureed and strained enough. Its best to wait until 7-8 months
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• A baby should only be getting breastmilk at 5 mo. Even if it is a formula baby 5 mo is too young for difficult to digest foods like broccoli. The baby could still be on formula only. It would be better to wait until 9 mo or longer for the more difficult to digest foods. There is no reason to rush. Babies need breastmilk or formula for brain growth and it shold be their main food until 12 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Don't rush the baby into solids. It's better to wait longer. Broccoli is very gassy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Personally at 5 mo, it should be just breast milk or formula. If you did start solids, stick to easy to digest foods. Broccoli is not an easy to digest food. The flora in a baby's gut at 5 mo is not ready to break down the proteins and enzymes of solids.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Too early for solids!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My son was eating solids at three months- simple things like mashed potatoes, pureed peas and carrots, sweet potatoes, and his favorite- bananas. I do think broccoli is a bit of a harsh veggie, maybe something a little gentler on the system? Think simple starches and soft veggies. I often pureed it and mixed it with a bit of formula to get a nice consistency. (My son is 3, in the 95th percentile for weight, and 98th for height, and he is not chubby AT ALL.) If your child seems ready for solids, there's no reason not to.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 2:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would wait a few more weeks for solids. Well cooked broccoli in a large enough piece to hold and play with is one thing. Spoon eeding is somthing else entirely. Check out: Baby Led Solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• he has yo be eating solids by now the doctor andhis speechtherapist said h ha to tart eating i was givng him only cereal but they told me he had to start eating stuff that was a little more thick he has a medical condition they are monitoring and want to see if it will change or not so he has to be on solid food 3 times a day so i cant keep him on just formula because he can get worse
    Alejandra10

Comment by Alejandra10 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010