Please, any help or ideas?

I had an ultrasound at 14 weeks, and while I knew it was doubtful, I was hoping to learning the sex. The u/s tech said their was no way and that they all look like girls until 20 weeks! And she would NOT try to tell until 20 weeks. Which I know is a LIE!!! I keep seeing mothers who are due around me, some later, already learning the gender. I will be having two more ultrasounds before 20 weeks (16 wks on monday and 18 wks) due to a hemorrhage in the placenta (any advice there would help too). I know this lady will be able to tell, but the way she acted I know she wont tell me! Any suggestions on how to pry it out of her, or some where else to go where I could just pay for an ultrasound???? This is my first and I want to know soooooo badly!!!

Casumael

Asked by Casumael at 1:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Any u/s before 18 weeks in unreliable for gender prediction. The u/s tech was right!

Those that were told early might be in for a BIG surprise!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• They might be able to tell you, if your baby's in a really good position, but the earlier they tell you (before 20 weeks) the more likely they are to be mistaken. It can be pretty hard to see! If they tell you sooner, you might end up finding out that you're baby is not a boy but a girl or vice versa later on! And that wouldn't be too cool.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She's not lying about them all looking like girls early on. Testicles do not decend and they do look like girsls. Anyways, there's no way to force it out of her either. I know its killing you to not know, but you don't want her to give you the wrong answer because it was too early do you? Around 17 weeks she should be able to tell though. 20 weeks is just the standard though. But I had mine done at 17 weeks. Don't waste your $ on going somewhere else.Use the time to pick out both boy and girls names.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She doesn't have to tell you because it's at her discretion whether or not to make that call. I found out at 15 weeks and 4 days with the 4D ultrasound done by my geneticist. We had a positive "hamburger sign" which is the only way you can tell 100% it's a girl.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Hmm.. we found out at 17wks that our baby was a girl. She said it was an 80% guess, but she was still willing to tell us. Sure enough, shes a girl. But to be honest, even though she told us up front that she was guessing, I would have been heartbroken to later find we were having a boy. Probably best to wait it out until your sure.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My tech said the same thing. I believe what she said is true. Several books I've read (written by doctors) say that the genitals aren't visibly formed until the fetus is 18 weeks old= when you are 20 weeks pregnant. Sorry to tell you you have to wait, but if you want an accurate answer you do. Pregnancy is a long game of 'wait and see'.
    JennCharisma

Answer by JennCharisma at 1:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You can't tell the sex until between week 16-20. The baby's organs haven't changed enough at week 14 to be able to tell. All babies do develop as girls at first, it wasn't a lie. You can look up things like this on google.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Sometimes women do find out earlier-- It can be difficult to identify too early. And of course there are rules with some techs, they are not allowed to give that info...

But I suggest you really ask yourself why it's so important to know.
    You are having a BABY, is gender that big of a deal??
    imo, it's not worth subjecting a developing fetus to unnecessary risk/exposure for that...

Something to consider.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2010