Anyone know a cure for insomnia and bad dreams other than medication?

handsfullxs_4

Asked by handsfullxs_4 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• yoga and meditation/prayer work for me
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have heard (have not tried it though) that lavender and chamomile is a relaxing way to help you sleep. And supposedly sugar/sweets before bed time gives you nightmares. When we got colds we would fill a sock with rice and lavender (or chamomile), tie the end of the sock, and put it in the microwave for 50 seconds (just to barely warm it). The warmth helped which ever sore muscle you put it on, and the smell really relaxed us.

Of course you don’t have to use a sock- we are just broke =/

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54211323/two-for-eleven-aromatherapy-pack?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=rice+bag&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Is it for you? I like excersise, no tv at night and a good prayer or thought while laying in bed.
    My DD gets night terrors so I play nice music while she falls asleep.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• same for me, but lately... does'nt seem like enough!
    handsfullxs_4

Comment by handsfullxs_4 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That is true, I usually have some tea... and take a lavender bath, but since I'm in a cast my daughter went and bought me that baby lavender lotion... still not the ticket though... thanks though.
    handsfullxs_4

Comment by handsfullxs_4 (original poster) at 1:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Sometimes you can do something strenous that will physically tire you out. When I have trouble sleeping I start doing housework... I hate house work and magically I get tired quickly! Sometime even with the house work my mind just wont shut off and I cant sleep because I have so much on my mind. I started making list of things that I was either worried about or planned to do and then, knowing i wouldnt forget to do it later I am able to sleep. Meditation can also work or making up stories in your head I make up elaborate stories as if it were a novel, you know set the scened describe the characters and mannerisms that will almost always work when all else fails. Plus it usually leads to lovely dreams.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 1:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yoga and/or meditation is a great suggestion. Have you ever heard of or tried Melatonin? Melatonin is the compound in your brain that regulates your sleep cycles. You can buy a Melatonin supplement (which is all natural) at pretty much any drug store, and it works WONDERS (for me anyway)!
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 1:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have always had terrible insomnia and one of the best things for me is listening to books on tape. I do take meds for depression and anxiety, and my sleep has gotten better from that. I tried actual sleeping aids but the side effects were worse than the insomnia so I never continued with them. The other things that really helps me is doing something that is mentally tiring right before bed. For me, it's puzzles, like sudoku or crosswords. They focus my mind so the anxious thoughts that keep me awake are gone. The puzzles have to be super challenging though. Good luck :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well I litterally wake up at 530am every day I usually run off of maybe 3hrs of sleep 5 to 6 maybe twice a week... all I do is clean, I'm very active with my kiddos, the night terrors started when I was 4 and I get them so severe that I wake up with a stiff neck! its kind of like I'm afraid to sleep....
    handsfullxs_4

Comment by handsfullxs_4 (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, its for me.... I've had my share of medications from A-Z... but I don't want to take them! I function great through the days etc... its just night! I have melatonin in the cabinet, but my body reacts differently from others... as lets say ambien may knock you out... it makes me hyper!
    handsfullxs_4

Comment by handsfullxs_4 (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010