I need to see a Dr. What are my options?

I have no insurance. I've been having health problems and have had a problem w/ anxiety and depression for years. I haven't been on any medication because I've had no health insurance. I can't stand the thought of running up hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of medical bills. I'm a SAHM, and really have no employment options at this time. My SO refuses to marry me so I can get on his insurance, because according to him I should apply for state medical assistance. And I refuse to apply for state assistance.

What are my options? Am I S.O.L. or is there any way I can see a Dr. w/o running up a huge debt? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• Dump the SO... he sounds like an ass!

Seriously... Look for a low cost/free clinic in your area. You might have to pay a co-pay, but it is better than nothing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You have options!!! Which state do you live in? In oregon there is free insurance to low income families. Also, I know that Adventist hospital and Providence Hospital has financial assistance programs. Before I could afford insurance I had to apply to the Fianancial assistance. It covered 100% of my $1,000+ medical bills!
    There are also clinics like SleepingBeautee mentioned. Almost every state has a Planned Parenthood. They do more than just give you condoms. They also have an assistance program in which nearly everyone qualifies.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree dump the SO any SO who doesnt have your best interest at heart isnt someone you would want to marry anyhow. If y ou have ongoing medical issues and he truly cares for you, your health alone should be a motivating factor to marry you and take care of you.

If your unwilling to use the state assistance even just the insurance then you can check in to low cost medical plans, the free clinics or public health will probably have info for your local area.

Personally when it comes to health insurance if i didnt have private insurance and i qualified i would apply so that my children and i were covered. You children need a healthy mom and there is nothing wrong with getting help with medical coverage when its a need in your family.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is unfair to your children for you to refuse to apply for Medicaid. They need a healthy mother. You need to apply for Medicaid on Friday. You could ruin all of your lives forever by not doing so. One ER visit or hospitalization could be all it takes to wipe you out financially. You could end up homeless.

Your city will have a mental health clinic. It will be free on Medicaid. It would be on a sliding fee is not on Medicaid but they will MAKE you sign up for Medaid. You may be able to see a doctor in as soon as a week once you apply for Medicaid.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with dumping the SO, he sounds very unsympathetic... can you image how he would be as a spouse? I shudder... There is no shame in getting public assistance if you need it. You are a SAHM who is suffering form depression, how can it be good for your children to ignore your mental health? You need to be at your best so you can give them your best. Look for clinics or even explain to the Dr. you hvae no insurance and see if they will let you make payments. Been there done that... youd be suprised at the help you can get if you just ask for it.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 1:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with dump the SO!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• try to find free clinic that except patients with no insurance in your area im sure they might have some that you can go to i dont have any website but they should have a free clinics where ever you live good luck
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010