Paralegal Certification

I am just curious. I have a degree already in History/Poli Sci...double major...well I am going to get my certification to be a paralegal. The school who offers the program here has an Associates and a Certificate...which one is better?

OneToughMami

Asked by OneToughMami at 1:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in

• You should get the associates since you already have a degree
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 2:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That's what everyone is telling me. I think that is really what I am going to do. And there's electives that you have to take for the Associates and I was looking and the ones they recommend and a lot of them are things I have not taken, even though I am current enrolled in two.
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• A certificate is not a degree, it's just a paper saying you took classes and are sort of qualified. An associates is an actual degree, and will look great on a resume, even if you look for a job in something other than the law field.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• See WomanWitty, that is what I thought. I just needed someone else to tell me that other than my mom.
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 2:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yep, what they said. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The Associates Degree is higher(and therefore more valuable) than a Certification.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You already have a double major - all you need is the certification to work as a paralegal in California.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• hmm...Tasches, it really didn't tell me what I needed for PA. I was thinking to do the associates regardless because of the electives. They have 4 electives, which is only 4 classes more than the certificate and they are Estates and Trusts, Technical Writing, Health Law, and Juvenile Delinquency. So I get some more law classes as opposed to public policy courses and government that I had to take with the Poli Sci
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i agree with the other mommies.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• a certificate wont get near as far as an actual degree and it's probably not any harder to get the degree it probably just takes longer
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010