husky puppies

do any of you have huskies? do they make good family pets? ive heard they require a lot of grooming and exercise but thats fine. the hubby loves huskies and the daughter loves animals in general and i would like to get a puppy shortly. do they shed a lot or just the normal for larger dogs? are they protective over kids like a lot of other dogs?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pets

• we got ours when our daughter was 9 mo old, we gt him in March of this yr. He is such a great dog and I think having our daughter around him at an early age for the both of them they love each other so much. he's so good and gentle with her, which for him being such a bog dog now it's funny. He lets her do anything she wants to him, pull on him, sit on him, hug and kiss him. He is an outside dog. They do need to be shaved in the summer and brushed almost daily but we go outside a lot and play with him. He has become protective of her and he's very watchful over the house, although he's a big baby.. I do love him, they are great pets.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 10:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• ok. ours wouldnt be outside, we would tae him outside of course and get a fence put in so he can run around but he would live inside with us. our daughter is big on hugging animals and tackles them to the floor hugging them lol so the puppy will definitely get used to that. i wouldnt get a full grown because i want it to grow up with the cat we already have and our daughter who is almost 2
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• do you do the grooming yourself or do you use a groomer service sometimes? is that expensive for a dog that large?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• we bought a heavy duty trimmer and we do it outside. I think it is pretty expensive and hard to find someone to do it b/c they are so big. they are very very playful.but like I said Scout is great with our daughter. she feeds him snacks in the morning and evening and he comes up and gets it out of her hand. the neighbor dog comes over and plays with him and when they are playing he watches out for Lauren. He comes close to running her over sometimes but he only has once or twie by accident. but he does watch and will go right around her. they say Huskeys do become very protective over children. Good luck with yours, we love ours
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 10:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My parents love huskies and have always had them. They are very high energy dogs, they were bred to run pulling huge loads behind them for days at a time. I would only recommend this if you have a large living space and enough time to excercise them for at least an hour a day. Huskies that aren't excercised enough often develop very bad habits and become destructive from all the pent up energy. They are wonderful dogs and very affectionate but make sure you can give this dog the kind of time and energy it needs or it's not going to work out for you. I don't have time for this kind of dog!!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yes grooming is essential for this breed. They can mat and they have seven layers of fur. So brushing is very important to keep a good coat. They love the snow and hate the heat! So when it is hot it is a good idea to shave them down once they have blown thier coats. We used to have them when we lived in Ohio. They are great family dogs but do have a lot of energy. We trained our to pull the sled up the hill for the kids. lol The grooming can cost anywhere from $40. to $80  depending on the condition of the coat. So good luck and have fun with your furry friend, they are great dogs.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have two siberians. Yes they are very friendly dogs if they are properly cared for and trained. As for grooming ha ha well.... its just too much work for me so we take ours to the groomer three times a year, gets the job done lol. If you love the breed and patient with them and train them you learn to accept fur and all even on your couch!
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 7:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I have 4 huskies. They are very good with kids. Definately not guard dogs in any way shape or form.

I would definately NOT recommend shaving a husky. You are never supposed to shave them. They have a 2 layer coat, in summer they shed the hot underlayer and they are insualted from the heat as well. The furminator brush is the best and easiest way to groom them. Mine only need it when they blow their coats, about 2x a year.

Using good food and a good vitamin will keep their shedding to a minimum as well. I am a rescuer and breeder and use Purina Pro Plan Plus and a vitamin called NuVet.

Having a fence is practically a must as well. Never let them loose, as they love to run and will not remember how to get home.

Huskies are different than regular dogs in a lot of ways so make sure you know what you are getting into. :-) EAch have their own unique personalities.
    StarandAngel

Answer by StarandAngel at 1:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2008