can i give the food we eat to my 8 months old

though it has more amount of salt,oil & sugar in it than what i'd like my baby to have

A11

Asked by A11 at 2:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 8 months...only if it's very bland in my opinion...and just like you said, they don't need the added, salt, sugar, additives, etc....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would not. We did not start solids until 10+ month and those were very "easy" foods like advocado, sweet potato, banana...
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Every baby is different. I heard a Mom started her baby on gerber baby food at 2 weeks and never had a problem.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You can give your baby the healthy food you eat before you salt it. The baby doesn't need foods with sugar. You can keep things on hand to fix quickly for the baby like a sweet potato you can steam or microwave. When you have extras of things like sweet potato you can freeze it and use it for another meal.

We know health problems related to diet and obesity can start in infancy. It is worth it to feed babies well. Once you get in the habit it doesn't take much time or effort.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• All of mine started on table food at 6 months. I fed them pretty much what we were eating (used my blender), but I would not add spices or salt, oils, etc. until I removed their portions. I also stayed fairly close to the schedule for store bought baby food. I never worried too much since I had a garden and cooked from scratch for most things rather than using store bought 'meals'.

I also never really had the cost issues that a lot of my friends did because of the prices of baby food. Many of them ended up living on Ramen or close to it so they could afford to buy baby food. It takes just a tiny extra bit of time, but it becomes habit to just remove a serving of each thing before seasoning it. I can say that I never had any issues switching them to non pureed foods or adjusting them to a more grown up diet. Just use common sense and go slow to introduce new foods, just like with store bought.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, you can. Give it to him/her in small amounts, and cut it up tiny or mash it so that if he can't chew properly, he can "gum" it and swallow. It may take a while, but he will learn how to deal with the consistency and taste of different foods. Eventually, he will be eating only table food, so he will need to begin to adjust to that.

Don't forget the part about giving it in small amounts. It is great to give younger children some table food, but all their nutrition needs should be met by breastmilk or formula until 1 year. :) Don't fill him up too much, or he won't want breastmilk or formula!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Exactly what Farmlady said :) I would separate out a small portion of food for my son before I seasoned it for the rest of us. I also would make his baby food in large batches and freeze it, so I always had food on hand for him if we were eating something that he couldn't have.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I always either made his separate, before I finished ours, so he didn't have all the spice, grease and other stuff. Or gave him avocado, sweet potato... something different than us if ours was not what he needed. I will say, he started that kind of food at 6 months and by 9.5 months, he was eating so well, he could pick up a kid burger and take bites and eat it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes you can absolutely. Just avoid processed foods. There is no need to shy away from healthy fats or spices (obviously not habanero hot.). It's easy to set aside food you've cooked beforespicing it more, or simply salt at the table. My baby has had regular food from the start beginning at 7 1/2 months (almost 11months now). No jars or purees unless the food came that way like hummus. We mealshare. She's had bluberries, to asparagus, to 3 bean chili. She's even snatched onions out of my tom yum soup. There is nothing she won't try. And self feeds. CHeck out Baby Led Solids. It's been easy and fun. EAting out is very easy and a pleasure. I am able to enjoy a meal with my baby and eat mine with two hands.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My DD was eating table foods as soon as she could chew, which was right around that age. I don't see anything wrong with it - however we eat pretty healthy overall.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010