Very Adult Question adult content

I have stitches from after my baby and he is three weeks old. I was taking a shower and washing down there and accidentally pulled on a (stitch it did not rip cause it hurt and I had my husband look). Are they still supposed to bet there after so long? It has been eight plus years since the last time I had stitches. This time around however I had gotten like 15 :( big baby

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• Didn't you get after care papers? I would look at those if you did. It should tell you what kind they are and if you need to go to the dr to have them taken out or not. When I had my daughter (8yrs ago) I had 2 stitches. They were the dissolving kind so they went away on their own, but I don't remember how long it took.
    With as many as you have, I'm not surprised that you can still feel them I wouldn't worry too much but you could always call the dr just to be sure.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Mine were in for almost a month and then when i wiped one day I ripped them out, I went to the doctor who said it was okay. Even though I thought there were supposed to dissolve in a couple of days, but idk.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 2:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yeah, it can take a while. When you go to your obgyn they will defianatley check down there and make sure everything is ok. Also they will make sure everything is ok with you to. Just let them know what happened. I hope your doing ok. good luck.
    Traci1979

Answer by Traci1979 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My doctor told me that mine would dissolve or come out on their own. Did you get this kind? If so it took mine a while to dissolve. In all honesty, I was so swollen down there that by the time I could tell that I had stitches, they were gone... Probably about a month.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 2:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i think its normal but if its really bothering you call your dr and ask him just to make sure.
    koensmom22

Answer by koensmom22 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Dang! Big baby indeed!! Depending on the size of the suture material, it can take a month or two to dissolve.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Did your doctor mention if they were dissolving stitches? I had dissolving stitches in my c-section, and it took over a month to dissolve. I did pull on one of mine because it looked so gross- bad idea...dont do it. I ended up with a 1" x 1" seperation in my scar. I just had a scar revision two weeks ago to correct it. And apparently those werent dissolving stitches. The doctor had to take them out x_x
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It can take a while, but they will dissolve on their own. Sometimes they're gone in a day or two, sometimes they take up to a month. I wouldn't worry too much, but if they're not gone by your 6 week check up, you should ask your doctor. If you are worried, definitely call your doctor and ask him/her - it doesn't hurt to ask! :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thank you all I love the answers thought I was the only one :)
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• They will dissolve. If it is painful,call your doctor. Make sure there is no infection. Is there any odor? Any pus? Be careful and if you are still worried, call your doctor. Take care.

AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2010