Is it hard for Christians to believe...

That many of us non-Christians live a very good life, give to others, are kind, have high levels of personal integrity, and generally are good people? Sometimes it seems as though Christians believe that all non-Christians are bad people, and I just don't get it. Is it something you are taught in church?

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 2:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well, as a non christian that has attended church on multiple occasions, I can say that every time I've been, I've been told I'm going to hell. It's got to be this idea they hold that good people can't go to hell... but because I don't believe in God, I am going.. therefore I must be a bad person.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 2:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think it is something that has been taught since the days of old. It really is sad I think. But I take to heart what the bible says about judging. Though it can be hard sometimes. But when it comes to non-christian beliefs it is not that hard to not judge. With everything thing in life you can not group together all of something.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• NO. It is an INDIVIDUAL choice people make. I am Christian and believe everyone should live their life THEIR WAY. I have to be satisfied with my choices I make. Right or wrong, I hold myself accountable for the results of my beliefs and/or actions.

I do not judge people, and I do NOT go to church every week. I believe that God hears me, sees me wherever I am. People are SUPPOSED to go to church to share worship not gossip or pass judgment on others or tell others how to live.

AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• As a Christian, I believe that there are MANY non-believers out there that are truly good people. They just aren't going to Heaven.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Some of the best people I have met in my life are not Christians and it amazes me. It has taught me a lot about myself and who I want to be. I think it's easy to live a certain way because of what you believe and go by what you are taught to do. But to naturally be a good person is just a great thing! :)
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 3:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• God is very clear that He isn't in need of our sacrifice(s), he wants our obedience. When you compare yourself to so-called .."christians", you are setting up a judgement for your self. When God want the obedience and says obey "Him", this is His standards of morality, and giving is a good example, .. but I see that He wants to use me, you, us- to put our minds and hearts in motion. All anyone can do is continue to do that which only God alone can take personal. This world will only bring people down when comparing / competing. Church isn't teaching the right way if all they say is hell, hell, suppose you read more of what is in store when the ++offered hope is ++His love, mercy, and truth.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Womanwitty, thanks so much for the laugh. That was a good one. jajajajaja
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 3:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• WomanWitty said it very well. Going to heaven isn't about being good, it's about accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior. A person is supposed to follow the commandments and be good, but that alone is not going to get anyone to heaven.

Non Christians tend to take that as a judgement from Christians ~ but the reality is they are only stating what the rules are in the Bible. Christians aren't the ones that made that rule and they won't be the ones that enforce it. It doesn't matter how angry or frustrated that makes people, it simply is the way it is.

I agree with her that there are many truly good people that choose to be that way because they can ~ but that isn't the most important part.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• apparently it is, or they just assume without asking that unless its blatantly obvious, that every IS Christian... pfah
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No, but it sounds like you have a lot of you own stereotypes about Christians. At my church we never speak about other people and what others should be doing, the focus is on ourselves.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2010