Rude Checkers At The Grocery/Retail Store

I just hate it when i am at the checkout stand and the cashier is ringing up my purchase and is yell across the room to another customer or employee and not even so much as says hi, or thank you etc.

Don't you? I mean whatever happened to CUSTOMER SERVICE?

On the other hand, there are some cashier that are very nice and amicable.

AdrianaS

Asked by AdrianaS at 3:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• yeah, I work customer service and always tell myself, treat this customer like you would like to be treated and I would not like to be treated rudely or ignored so I do my best to treat customers great, I mean there purchase it putting food on my table and paying my bills so I offer that moment of my time to them.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have some really bad stories about people checking me out. My little brother got lice, and my mom sent me to the store to buy RID. So, I'm sitting at the checkout with it, and the lady is like... "someone's got an ichy head..." then stares at me waiting for an explanation. I mumbled something about my little brother and paid. How rude!
    Then I was buying some toys for Dd in the store (she was only 12 months old) I think they were for her bday. She's sitting in the cart, and the lady is checking me out and is like.. "Oh,I was wondering who these toys were for". Then she come's across a little squish ball that lights up. It was on sale for a dollar and my Dd was fascinated with the light, so we were buying it. She's like "is this for you guys? It says 5+ on it..." I was like.. "it's for her, I'm sure she'll be fine with adult supervision"... WTH, tell me I can't buy a toy not the age range of my own child!
    I <3 self checkout.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 4:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• actually this happened today.. i went to the grocery store the woman as she is hand ing it to me says its eggs and bread and like smashes the bag in to the card scanner.. you could hear egss cracking.. i was like fantastic good job team
    joannawaddoups

Answer by joannawaddoups at 5:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yep, I hate it. I worked retail for a couple years and loved it. I was always nice to the customers, and I'm surprised when people are rude cause they could lose their job!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 6:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I was at a home improvement store the other day and went to self checkout (because it was the only register open) with a heavy ceiling fan. They have a button to touch if you have a heavy/large item so that the supervising cashier comes and rings it in. So I pressed it, and looked at the cashier to see what to do, and his response was "Just put it up on the scanner". I was trying to avoid having to heft it out of my cart and back in :(
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 6:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, that is very annoying. I had a cashier at the grocery store criticize me that my peaches weren't ripe enough. Then she asked how old my son was and said "Boy he is awful small for his age"---which he isn't. I just wanted to say mind your own business you old bag.
    ch2002

Answer by ch2002 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That doesn't really bother me. I get annoyed at the ones that talk to me too much.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I HATE that. At Giant Eagle I use the self-check outs as much as I can, it's much less annoying than the bored 17 yo old throwing things around and talking to the other cashiers. There are a handful that are really nice, and I've started going to a smaller grocery store (Heinan's) for some things - they know what customer service is about.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• wow, i can honestly say i've never really had a Rude cashier at a store anywhere near me! There is a manager at our local Safeway that always seems to be bored or hate her job but she is still relatively nice to the customers, or just doesn't really talk at all. ALL the checkers and most of the baggers already know me and always comment on how big the kids are getting or something :D I do live in a 'small' town though and when we only have 3 stores its easy to get to recognize the people that come in often :P Even at Walmart though the cashiers are usually very nice, i try to use the ones i know though too, cause i have a couple relatives and old classmates that work there and its always nice to say hello to them while doing my business :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Customer service? What's that? It's rare to find nowadays. Employers just don't put an emphasis on it.

I dread going grocery shopping every week. Even the customers are rude. Everyone is in a bad mood. How about when the cashier waits to check you out because she's having a conversation with someone else? Or when you give them a coupon and they ask if you're sure you bought that? Or if something rings up wrong and they argue with you about whether it's really on sale or not?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2010