What do I do about a kid who corrects people?

A little background... My son is 10, He hasa 160 IQ. He has Aspergers( on the autism spectrum) He has the best imagination and he can be very funny. But he is also very akward in social situations. Adults tend to either love him or hate him. Kids mostly like him except for the kids that find him too different or weird. One of the things he does is correct people. He has been explaining to me for the last 2 days how to properly make a grilled cheese sandwich because the last one I made for him was too done on one side and basically he will not let up until he feels he has been heard. He tends to correct his teachers for things like spelling or proper language. He does not understand things like sarcasm so he corrects people when they are . The thing is I doubt very much that he is trying to hurt anyone. I think it is just part of his personality to have things the way they are supposed to be. Please NO bashers! He's a good kid

stweshjali

Asked by stweshjali at 5:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I like your little guy, that's his personality whats wrong with it. don't change anything. as adult we should be more tolerant and teach tolerance to our children Everybody is not made from the same mold that's what make us individuals
    pascale10

Answer by pascale10 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• awww.....he sounds like a great kid, and I don't think theres much you can do except for explaining it to people. I've been around kids that like to correct and its annoying but once its explained that they do that and can't help it, I understand and try to be as understanding, repeat what they say and say thank you for the extra knowledge because now I know how to do it or say it properly.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• there is no way to bash him! he sounds like a friend of mine. she did the same thing. sometimes it upset me, but cuz i know she didn't mean to, i just let it go. i know its hard with the teachers, my kids do it to theirs all the time. i'm gunna bump ya so you can get more answers.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Honestly...I have a 14y/o son that doesn't have Asperger's or anything, but, he has the whole high I.Q. AND he corrects people and TEACHERS spelling and grammar and the info they are teaching if it is wrong. LOL So, I understand, believe me. I just let him correct, at least I know he is smart and is trying to help. He is also a little on the quirky side too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my 5 yr old corrected me this morning! I told him he could go to collage to be whatever he wanted..a police officer, a dinosaur digger.. he said "hum hum..do you mean palentologist"..i was like "yeah,,i just didnt know if you knew that..=)"

I think its fine. Just let him know not to be rude
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• lol.he's ok.dont worry bout that.people will be people dont try to change him. everybody not goin to like him anyway even if he did correct them.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Um, I think we have the same kid. lol. I just take a deep breath and say thank you.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 4:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Thank you he is a great kid!  The people that know us well understand and quite like Jacob for being himself. The only real problem I see is when someone thinks he is talking down to them.

stweshjali

Comment by stweshjali (original poster) at 6:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just explain it to the person he's correcting after he's done correcting them. Most ppl will understand & won't be offended. W/ kids its gonna be harder cuz they don't understand it as much, pull em aside & let them know that they weren't doing anything wrong, your son just notices little things like that which makes him different.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thats totally my boys too! If you can figure that one out, let me know. Its a stress for us, as well and making them be unpleasant to talk to most of the time. In addition, they take everything personally or argue constantly. I got to the point where I only speak if I have to, I can't take much more, ya know?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010