Ca you actually see inside your child's belly and tell if it's little stomach is mature yet?

So, why do I keep getting the "My child is ready, I can tell." excuse when we keep saying the only way to know for sure if your baby's belly is ready for food is when they can sit up on their own and feed themselves finger foods? I mean really, doctors who have studied the effects of feeding solids too early discovered it is better to wait. Then, you know your baby doesn't have leaky gut anymore. And they also recommend not giving rice cereal as a first food. It is only still on the shelves and on the market because it is convenient and tradition. Not because it's so healthy and perfect.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 7:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They idea that babies need "bland" food or else they don't learn how to eat is an old, untrue idea. Babies have taste buds (breastmilk is quite sweet and its taste changes with what the mother ingests...garlic milk for example is enjoyed), won't learn to use a spoon until they grow into the ability -- spoon feeding exposure is not needed. Eating is like walking...it is something babies just do when they have grown to the proper stage. There is nothing you can do to make a 4 month old walk and there is nothing you can do to make the digestive system become mature enought to produce the enzymes needed to break down solid food, particularly grains. The reason why formula was invented in the first place was because babies who could not be breastfed (orphans in particular) DIED -- no mattter what solids or whole milk given they simply couldn't process it.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Guess it depends on the doctor? My doctor told me to give my Dd rice cereal at 4 months of age, and when she didn't take it, she said to start with fruit. My dd refused to eat from a spoon til 6 months old though.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 7:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That's why they recommend rice cereal first. It's bland. When you give it is a different story. Giving a 4,5 or 6 month old rice cereal is not going to give your child allergies.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

I understand why you feel so strongly on the subject, but you need to understand that people have different views. My oldest son has autism. There are so many different views on what causes autism. I have read so much research over the years. I actually became a behavior therapist to learn more about it. I have spoken to several 'experts' who believe different theories.
    I do not speak too much on what I believe may cause autism. Why? There are too many theories and while many people offer 'proof' to as to why their theory is correct, there is 'proof' for another theory as well. I just offer support and some advice when asked. I do not bash, I do not tell people they are wrong, I just say "Well I tried this, look into it"
    I think most of the advice you offer is wonderful and I am happy you are a part of this site, and I'm happy you care.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Rice cereal is not healthy for babies, it's convenient. It keeps the baby "satisfied" longer than regular breast milk, or infant formula because it stays on the stomach longer. Baby sleeps longer because there's this 'brick' in her stomach that her body needs to use more energy to digest, so she sleeps, and we think she's better off. Not so, first of all with all the processing, rice cereal is primarily sugar and starch (which gets further broken down by the digestive system into more sugar) and protein, and very little else of nutritious value. Babies are born with "leaky gut." It's just how they are made, as they get older, they're gut's integrity becomes less leaky, but as little babies, this 'rice brick' that is just sitting in they're little stomachs is allowing the aforementioned proteins to leak through the gut into the baby's blood stream. Foreign proteins in the blood stream cause the immune system to react which lead
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• to inflammation. This inflammation leads to all kinds of problems: allergies, and in some extreme cases, auto-immune issues.

Of course, not every baby will react this way, but why take the chance? We don't want to take the chance, so we only give our babies breast milk until they're ready for solid foods, and then the first solid we give is usually a mashed banana, or mashed cooked squash, or carrots, etc.

BradenIsMySon

• BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• why would you want to?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• WHY does it bother YOU so much? people will do what they want whether you give them different information contrary to popular belief. like you said it's tradition. many dr's still say to wait for the first tooth to start feeding. i hope more dr's will listen to you though bc they don't know what they are doing...
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2010