DO YOU USE THE WEB SITE FAMILY WATCH DOG.US FOR SEXUAL PREDITORS IN YOUR AREA?

I some how stumbled on this site and found it, every time a convicteds exual preditor moves in near my home it notifies me. Here's the web site to sign up. Do you have it?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I check it. I think its a great tool for parents and for the kids to know about those houses.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 8:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Also keep in mind, it is not the ones who register that you need to worry about. It is the ones who never get caught. Statistics also say that the majority of crimes are commited by people you know. People who are close to your child and family, not complete strangers. Someone who is in a position of trust and who can then manipulate that trust.. I am not saying it is a bad thing to look at the site, just do not rely totally on it. It is not always accurate.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I do use the site. But more importantly than that I live by the "house/car rule" if you wouldn't trust this person with all of your keys, security codas, bank account info exc. then DON"T TRUST THEM WITH YOUR CHILDREN!!! This includes your children walking home from school.

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Nope. I think those things are a crock for the reasons given by rheaf. Not to mention that over half of all sex crimes go unreported you could very easily have a non reported child molester living right next door and you would never know. And I was molested as a child but the person was my uncle and isn't on registries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yup, i do
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes I do.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 8:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have looked at it, but in all honesty, it doesnt tell you what they did and is not always up to date. a buddy of ours got caught when he was 23 with a 17 year old. He thought she was 21. She had an ID she used at the bar and everything. Well her Family found out and pressed charges. He now has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Things like that happen all the time. Just a year ago, the busted a whole group of teenage girls who were doing this up in OC( MD). My Aunt checked the site and it said there was a 13 year old boy who lived down the street from them who had to register. Now they know all the boys on the street. Their teenage son hangs out with them. Come to find out, the "boy" that the site said lived there, was 26 now and moved out 5 years ago.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• we have it, but we live on a military post, and you cant live on post if you even have a non-violent felony, so i feel pretty safe :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No, I watch my children!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's true most time your assaulted by someone you know. But the remark, I watch my children is not always going to be true. Your child can be over the watching age. I have 2 sex offenders behind me, and 1 who had children on his computer making it 3. Their's was done before the registry existed. I still use it as a tool, but not as my only resource. Better to be safe than sorry, extra info isn't going to hurt.
    MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010