Is naming your baby a joint decision or ultimately up to Mom?

You both talk about it, but you get the final say? If so...why? "Because I'm mom" doesn't count lol)

This is based on a couple that is actively together, not someone whose alone in the raising.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Joint decision--we went through a lot of names before we came to that special one that we both loved.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• For us it was a joint decision.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Depends on the culture, in some daddy has the last say! For us it was a mutual ah ha moment that brought us the name of our daughter. My hubby's already picked out what he wants to name his son. He's dreamt about it like some women dream about their wedding so I'm not gonna say no!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My Dh got to pick the boy name and I picked the girl name. It was a girl, so we used the name I chose, but Dh got to pick the spelling. The next kid we have, he gets to choose the name and I'll pick the spelling. Also, he got 100% veto power over any name he didn't like, and I'll get the same.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 9:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My husband and I made it a joint decision. We found a name that we both like, but I could call my son by the proper version and he could call him by the shortened version if he wanted. My hubby was pretty determined that he would get his middle name (which was passed down to him from his grandfather)---I really didn't like that name at all (it's an unusual German name), but since it is the middle name, I let hubby have his way on that one.
    ch2002

Answer by ch2002 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• joint. we picked out the names. If one of us didnt like it then our child wasnt going to be named it. I however get to do the spelling:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• joint
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• For us it was a joint decision with some compromise involved. My dh is south asian and really wanted the kids to have south asian names. I said that was fine, but wanted to be able to chose the middle names to honour my late grandparents. I then chose south asian first names that I liked and we chose names that we both liked. He didn't really come up with any names himself- he is not that creative! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It was joint decision. In our case, though, he was pretty agreeable to what I wanted. If he had objected I would have changed it, but liked what we discussed and what I picked.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• a joint decision! I wouldnt want my hubby unhappy with the name!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2010