My kid won't sleep if her mouth hurts!

Okay, so my Dd started getting her molars not too long ago, it took them a few months to come in, then she immediately started getting her canines and they're still coming in. Before that... her molars were swollen and would hurt her, but she would still take naps fine and go to bed fine. So, it's been about 3 months of scattered napping... yesterday, I could only get her to sleep for 15 min (she fell asleep in the car then wouldn't sleep after). So, she went to bed at 6:30 last night, and woke up at 6:30 this morning... it's 2pm, and she JUST fell asleep for nap, she's been tired since 11am...

I don't feel comfortable giving her tylenol, since she seems to always be teething.. and I don't want it to hurt her. I've tried jels and tablets, but they don't help at all. I finally got her to sleep by giving her a popscicle (her second today, she still couldn't sleep after the first one!).

Any other ideas to help her cope?

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 8:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tylenol for teething is completely unnecessary IMO. Wet a washcloth & stick it in the freezer. My dd's 15 mo & is also getting her molars. She loves ice cubes & will happily suck away @ as many as she needs when they're breaking thru. Her other teething stand by is a wooden spoon. I got her a bamboo child's size set & she'll stick the spoon part in her mouth & chomp down to help break thru the skin.

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Dont use gels, they harden the gums and make it worse. Tylenol or motrin would help her, but she's been teething for awhile. I would consult her ped. to find out what he would suggest.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• well who would? lol.. try childrens tylenol :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Motrin is better than tylenol because it's an anti-inflamitory and helps quite a bit
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have been freezing cantaloupe for my son and giving the to him works just as well as the political but healthy too
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2010