Gross, I know, but, head lice....

My daughter came home from preschool with her head itching on Monday. I checked and there are eggs. I bought the shampoo and combs and bedding spray. Will that get rid of them with one treatment? I have never had them because I have really thick coarse hair (I've heard they can't hang onto thick hair...), even tho my sister got them weekly as a child. Any tips would be great. I'm sitting here itching right now. She thankfully doesn't go back to school until Friday.

crazybeautifulh

Asked by crazybeautifulh at 11:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• It depends on how extensive the invasion (for lack of better words) is. If you see eggs, but no bugs, then one application may indeed work. I also suggest taking all of her bedding and either boiling it for about 5 minutes to kill the eggs and bugs that you can't see on her bedding or bagging her bedding, any stuffed animals that she may has played or slept with, for a week. The bag must be air tight (you can use a garbage bag, just kinda sit on it until all the air is forced out of the bag). After a week, wash her clothes in hot water. If you have other children, check their heads as well. Spray down all of your furniture with the furniture spray. But do NOT treat your head or anyone else's if they do not have eggs or lice. It won't prevent getting lice and you may actually work to make those little buggers immune to the medicine if you do that.
    vicki1130

Answer by vicki1130 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Oh and make sure you take the comb they provide for removing the eggs through her hair really well. Section her hair up into really small sections and run the comb through several times in each section (making sure that you clean anything collected off the comb as you go.
    vicki1130

Answer by vicki1130 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• First of all, its not gross to get head lice. Its gross to not do anything to get rid of them! And I have very thick, coarse hair and had them once. I think some people just don't get them. The lice just don't like some people, or something. Anyway, You usually have to do more than one treatment. And you have to get ALL the nits. My niece brought them home from camp and we didn't know them for a few weeks. Every female in the family got them. They can't live in hair less than 1/2", if I'm not mistaken, I buzzed my boys hair. We sat for hours going through all the girls hair and pulling out nits and smashing them. After using perscription lice shampoo and the comb. My sis was preggo and she used veg oil. It supposedly smothers them. She put it on her hair and covered it with plastic wrap for 8 hrs. 2 days in a row. It also made the nits slide out easier. Good luck!!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I would treat her hair every three days for awhile until your sure they are gone. They could still be at school. And I wouldn't count on the thick hair thing because I have thick hair and I got them alot when I was kid. And you should treat everyone in the house. And spray your animals with Adams flea and tick spray it'll get rid of them on your animals.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i dont think i have ever had head lice, my brothers either cause they both had their hair real short... sorry cant help yea....
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 11:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• the comb in the box sucks!!! go get the metal combs, you can get the box with 2 in there. Ok, you already did the treatment. now.... take the metal comb (i like the long one, it's just easier) and go thru her hair. then every other day for the next 10 days, go thru her hair with the comb again. I sit in the bathroom by the sink and rinse the comb with hot water after everyother comb thru or if I get a live one. my daughter had a case we could not get rid of for months. it kept coming back until I did this. the tretment will kill most everything, but on the chance it didnt', if you do the comb thru (everyother day for 10 days) you will catch any hatchlings that survived and get them out of the hair before they can lay any eggs. and that will be that!!
    Sherry6470

Answer by Sherry6470 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• by the way. the shampoo can be harmful, so be careful with it. dont' OVER DO IT. in a couple of days do a check of the people in your house and then treat if needed. Like I said we battled these buggers for months. when I first found out my daughter had it, it was VERY bad! But by doing the comb thur every other day for 10 days (sick of hearing it I know) not only did I not have to bag up all the stuffed animals or treat the furnature again, but I didnt' have to deal with lice again either.
    Sherry6470

Answer by Sherry6470 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have 4 bio kids, 6 step kids, and 20 grandchildren...I have dealt with head lice! LOL

Put olive oil on dry hair, let sit at least an hour, or longer if possible. Use one of those metal lice combs, and comb through the hair, seperate it into sections and make sure you comb all hair. Then wash out olive oil with shampoo, no conditioner. Wash twice or maybe even three times to get the olive oil out. When hair is dry (you can blow dry if desired), comb through again, this time will be harder to comb, but be patient and do it all. Then you have to sit your child under a bright light and start looking for nits (eggs), seperate the hair into sections and closely inspect each section. The nits are white and attached to the hair, you have to pull them off the hair so they can't hatch. They have to remain attached to the hair to hatch. Some of the nits may appear sort of tan colored, these are about to hatch.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• cont'......This is the most time consuming part, but the most important, if you leave a nit it will hatch and your in the same boat again! You also need vacum your furniture, your child's mattress, and any pillows that can't be machine washed. You need to put all their stuffed animals, and clothe dolls in a plastic bag, seal it air tight and leave it for 30 days. It seems sad to take away all those toys for 30 days, but they are so excited to get those toys back at the end! LOL All bedding and any lovey's need to be machine washed on hot if possible, and machine dried. You can use those sprays if you want, but still vacum after. Also if your car has cloth seats vacum them. Don't forget the car seat, if possible remove the cover and machine wash and dry it, if not possible vacum it. This is a very time consuming process, but it works!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2008