What's your nap/bedtime routine?

Lately my son takes almost 2 hours to finally go to sleep. We have never had a routine. I would just lay him down and he would sleep. So I think a routine would help. He only gets a bath every other night. And I don't want to read to him bc he very rarely enjoy books so I don't want them associated with sleep. And I'm not interested in starting any bad habits like rubbing his back or laying with him. Nothing that's just going to have to be broken. He's 2.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 9:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• naptime here for my 2 1/2 year old is after she finishes lunch and around 130. she grabs her buzz and woody dolls and we head up. sometimes she isn't wanting to nap, but usually it is not a problem.

bedtime, we have milk and cookie at 9 when she watches blues clues. after we head upstairs, she brushes her teeth, attempts to go potty, and washes her hands. we go in her room, me, my husband if he is home, and my dog all must say goodnight to her and she gives us all a hug and a kiss. then it's bedtime.

things like that will help your son realize that it's bedtime. i dunno, it's been pretty much the same here since she was 1.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daugther is 6 now but we've always had the same night time routine. At 6:30 we do bath time...at 7pm she gets to watch one 30 minute cartoon while having a snack..and then we brush teeth/go potty/ read book and then it's lights out. She's asleep by 8pm usually.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• What time do you lay him down and what time does he wake up? Does he take any naps (what time)?

For bedtime, I would let mine watch a 'good night show' on TV, get a small snack (small cup of cereal), have some milk - then i would put them in bed. I read to my dd before bed, but all my boys would never sit still - so I didn't read to them so much at night.
    (Bad, right)? At least they like it now when they are older.

I just put mine in their cribs, closed the door and they went to sleep. I think it's more about catching them at the right time too.
    It's also normal for them to play in their beds for a little while. They are curious. :) Good luck!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He goes down for bed between 7:30 and 8 and sleeps until 7:30 usually. His nap is at 12 and usually he sleeps an hour or 2. I have no problem with him playing in bed or even in the room. But he comes out a billion times asking for things and then screams every time I put him back.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my dd who is 2 goes down for a nap around 1130 or 12 and she goes to bed about 830 or 9
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well my son is 2 1/2 and he doesnt take naps anymore but he has a bedtime routine, we start at 7:30pm, first we clean up his toys then he has a bath then he brushes his teeth then he gets in his pjs and thats it hes down for the night
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If it's taking 2 hours to go to sleep, it's because you're starting an hour and three quarters too soon.

Sleep needs change over time, and he probably just doesn't need as much as he used to.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2010