Another Night Weaning Question

I know this has been asked before but I seriously need help night weaning my almost 11 month old. Last month he would sleep 5 or 6 hours in between feeds. This month he gets up like a newborn. I try to do other things like rock and soothe him but he cries and cries until I give in and breast feed. I am TTC and would like to reduce night feedings. He eats a big meal of cereal and whole fat yogurt before bed.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You've got a MAJOR growth spurt coming up and major milestone at 12 months. This is normal behavior and one of the worst times to try and reduce feeds. It won't last forever.
    Cereal is the worse food to give if you want calories and nutrition. It just takes up space but is hard to digest and process. Switch to foods of substance like avocados, beans, and other unprocessed fruits and vegetables with fiber! A body that doesn't get the nutrients its craves will continue to want it even if there is food in the belly.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i didn't nighttime wean until my son was around 12 or 13 months and we got pregnant at 12 months. no need to wean to get pregnant. and i agree that it may just be a growth spurt or maybe a tooth coming in and he wants to comfort nurse.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Maggie, that big before bed meal may well be doing it. You raised his blood sugar before bed. Then it plummets and he's HUNGRY.

Reschedule that last solids meal...two hours before bedtime and you still need to nurse first. Then nurse him to sleep if that's your routine.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• you could try to let him cry it out even tho that really sucks .with my dd i just stopped breastfeeding her at 1st it was hard then after a couple nights she didnt wake up any more .or can try to give him a cup when he wakes up
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thanks gdiamante
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• One thing that helped me get my DD sleeping longer at night was reading that it isn't enough to feed her right before bed, she needs to eat well throughout the day to be full and able to sleep longer. So in conjuction with moving that meal up a little earlier, make sure your baby is eating well throughout the day. Oh, and another good alternative to cereal is well-cooked whole wheat noodles which can satisy hunger longer and some have added protein as well. Hopefully this is a phase though, and it might be easier to concetrate on weaning once this phase has passed. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010