Why is he getting up?

My son who is 11 months old has been getting up every 2 hours at night like a newborn. He is teething but still gets up with meds and orajel. He will just stand in his crib and cry. He wants to eat a lot even though he eats a big meal before bed. And I finally put him in the bed with me and breastfeed him. He will wake up and bow his back out and fuss and fuss. I don't know what to do.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's NORMAl, first. Second, as I mentioned in the other question...a big meal before bed raises his blood sugar right before he goes to sleep. Then it plummets when he's sleeping and he wakes up because he's hungry. Push that meal EARLIER. And don't make it big. It's just shooting yourself in the foot. Nurse, then solids immediately after. EXPECT waking for a while yet, sorry. That is how they're programmed. You and I are programmed for that too.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He will continue to sleep good and then have phases of waking up at night well into toddler-hood. Babies really don't have a consistent solid night sleep until they are much older. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oragel csn make teething worse. Lying down with mouth pain is also much worse. What's even more of an issue is that he's entering a major growth spurt very soon and so is going to be hungry with a sore mouth.

All you can do is be patient and give a lot of love. Sometimes a bit of cold on the gums before nursing helps. There is little you can do with teething...it is just something you must wait out. If you've ever had braces, you'd know that nothing works but time!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• good luck momma
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2010