What does a 1 year old typical feeding schedule look like?

I am working on weaning my child by one. He is almost 11 months and eats 3 4 oz bottles at daycare and one big meal. At home he nurses on demand, eats snacks and a big meal before bed. He also has water and a little juice.
What does a typical one year old feeding schedule look like. Do they eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and only drink milk as a drink with meals?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no such thing as "typical" when it comes to fast growing babies and food. Unless you are going to continue giving breastmilk, "milk" is not needed. What babies need is fat and protein. They can get that with food like avocados.

I want to advise you that having a specific endpoint is not a good idea. You have a MAJOR growth spurt coming up at 12 months. Breastmilk is going to give more calories and nutrients during that critical stage than anything else you can give, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't do juice at all, expecially if there are teeth in the picture. Juice, even diluted, is all the sugar and no substance. Let your baby tak the lead. 3 meals a day is it sufficient, it should be spread out with healthy fruit and veggie snacks between family meal times at the BABY's lead.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• At 11 mo he doesn't need any bottles while you are gone, he can eat solids and drink water. He can continue to nurse on demand up until the recommend age 2 or beyond. You don't need to pump at work or anything. My DIL works and we didn't give him bottles when she was gone at 9 mo, he just ate solids. He is now 23 mo and still enjoys nursing and hasn't had to take antibiotics, great for our family.

Toddlers eat when you eat and they have snacks. Most toddlers graze, they eat small amounts all day. I watch my grandson every other day. He has his own shelf in my fridge. I save foods from meals and freeze extras from when I make him special things.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• At 1 year my kids ate 3 meals and 2 snacks/day. Until they turned 1 and went on whole milk, breastmilk was their snack with maybe a few pieces of fruit.

Answer by missanc at 10:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I just got my son off of his bottle, I thought it was going to be horrible, but he actually did great with it. i just put on cartoons before bed, some kind of sing along usually does the trick to get him really sleepy. (Classical baby the poetry show is his favorite.) Breakfast we usually do sippy cup of whole milk, only half because he doesnt drink it as he does out of a bottle, but usually we do either a scrambled egg, half a banana, and some cheerios. Somewhere along those lines. Then snack, then lunch basically anything you would give him, snacks, and mine takes a nap in there somewhere so then we do dinner kinda later so his tummy is full before bed. and oh yeah a great on the go breakfast is the gerber cereal bars from the baby section at the store. you can also get the preschooler ones they are just as soft. hope this helps
    shannonrenee09

Answer by shannonrenee09 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• At 11 months my son was taking only 1 bottle (we quit BFing at 10 months) - at bed time. About 6 oz. He was eating 3 meals and at least 2 snacks a day plus milk to drink in his sippy for meals. He ate breakfast when he got up, a snack a few hours later, lunch after morning nap (usually 2 or 3 hours after snack), snack a few hours after lunch, and dinner around 6:00 or 6:30. Sometimes he would have a small snack after dinner. Then bottle at 9.

He's 14 months now - no bottles. But everything else is pretty much the same.

Every baby is different - you'll need to find what works for you and your child. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter has 3 meals and 3 snacks she drinks about 24 oz of milk 6 oz of water down juice and a little water each day. We dont do bottles any more and havent since 11 months.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thanks for the advice. I know that breastmilk is best. I have been pumping at work since my son was 6 weeks old. I am about ready to have my breasts back and I think bfing for 1 year is an accomplishment. Not to say I will do it abruptly or it has to be on his 1st birthday it will be gradual. I am also TTC 2 and still haven't had a period.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My son has 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. He drinks when hes thirsty, but mostly at meal and snack times. If you give whole milk be sure not to go over 24oz a day :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2010