I CAN'T POTTY TRAIN MY 21/2 YEAR OLD BOY

BDAVIS384

Asked by BDAVIS384 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's probably not ready. My son is 3 and not ready. I waited until my daughter was 3 1/2. The very first time she went on the potty she was trained completely. She understood and never had an accident. What's the rush?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the poster above. My daughter is 2 1/2. She's just not ready. She understands the concept, but she's too busy to notice before it's too late. My MIL said hubby was the same way. We are just waiting until she is ready. To save on money, though, we've switched to cloth (happy heiny) diapers.
    abra

Answer by abra at 12:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Well, as the story goes, boys are supposed to be harder to potty train than girls. And they usually aren't completely potty trained until after they turn 3. Don't force the issue if he's not ready. It will only make him more resistant. We've been sort of potty training my son for a year now. Not because we decided to start then, but because he showed interest in it. And even still, he's not completey potty trained. He still has to wear a diaper when we're outside of the house and to bed. If you're having trouble now, get him some potty training books or videos, let him see you or DH going to the bathroom (if you're comfortable with that). Whatever you do, be very consistent. And for right now, even if he makes it to the toilet after already peeing or pooping else where, give him praise for at least making it there. Tons of praise and consisitency are key. Good luck : )
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 4:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008