Did you hear about this? when are they going to get the HELP they NEED?

MADISON, Wis. — An Iraq war veteran who police say shot and killed his pregnant wife and young daughter before turning the gun on himself left behind no clues to explain what might have prompted the bloodshed, investigators say.

There was no note and no evidence that there had been trouble between 23-year-old Matthew Magdzas and his wife, 26-year-old April Oles-Magdzas, before the shootings, detectives said.

Oles-Magdzas' mother found the bodies of the couple, their 13-month-old daughter, Lila, and their three dogs on Wednesday — the same day Oles-Magdzas was set to deliver her second daughter, friends said.

Detectives said they haven't found any evidence the couple was having money issues or was overly stressed by the pending birth of their daughter. They apparently had been faithful to each other, investigators said, adding they had no reports of any domestic disputes between them

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a matter of counseling WHILE they are on duty. Not only after they return. We need to feed, clothe, and mentally support our soldiers from day one of enlistment. The other option is I would like to see more of a private sector incentive to hire these soldiers upon their return. Fear of the unknown once their tour is over is contributing to the problem.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• But you said it yourself, Sweets, if they aren't WILLING to accept the help/counseling, then there isn't much you can do! My mother's twin brother (now 65) was 17 when he went to Vietnam...he has been on lithium for PTSD for the past 45 years, and the war is still raging in his head! Some people manage to move on with their lives, others do not.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• There isn't anything the military can do if these guys don't want help. Counseling is available to them for as long as they need it, they choose not to. This is a tragic story, it's amazing that no one saw any signs of distress.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I just feel that certain braches of the military do not offer (or care) better services.

***

Then you should be writing to your representatives and demanding better!!

The VA system is horrendous, and that's because the government manages it. This is just a microcosm of what we can expect with a "one size fits all" national healthcare system.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The GA national guard did not do ANY mental health screens while they were coming home in April/May from Afghanistan. My husband has severe PTSD and there are no guns allowed in my house. I have made it very clear if I think for a second that he may hurt me or my kids, I will call the hospital and they will come get him. We now live in TX and TX supports their veterans very well, if we have any problems or issues they get taken care of quickly. I think that counseling should be mandatory for veterans and if there are ANY signs at all they need to be put in an inpatient treatment center.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Did you hear about this? when are they going to get the HELP they NEED?
    -----
    when someone puts some cash back in the till.
    Newsflash Sweet. Your country is broke. End of story.
    Answer by jewjewbee
    ****************************
    You make it sound so simple and you make blaming the economy for everything so easy ....It has always been this way with the Military---since WWII and Korea and Vietnam...are you saying the economy was responsible for neglect of returning soldiers from way back then,too?
    The economy might be a part of the problem in a few cases but the VA and the military mindset makes it hard for military to get help---now and for at least 50-60 years. We had friends in the Air Force in the 1960's who came back from Vietnam in bad shape mentally and they still have not been helped. Think about THAT.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The families need to step up with these veterans and be proactive if their government isn't going to do more screening.

Yes, the families do need to step up. You can't always blame someone else. If I see a change in my husband, I will report it. I am not afraid of him not feeling "macho" anymore, he is being med-boarded anyways. The government can't do everything because all the VET is going to do is go in the doctor's office and say they "feel fine" and they are sent home. The doctor needs to talk to the wife, the parents (of the vet,) the children, friends just to be sure that every thinks the VET is feeling well and acting well.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Give the returning vets the counseling & if needed medication & supervision they need to deal w/ all the stuff they saw while @ war. If they are unable to talk about their PTSD this is what happens.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

-----
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010