im not a bad mom or am i ?

so everone is tellilng me how i need to wait on giving my 5 month old soolids and he should be eating only formula. but nobody knows that i have a reason for startingmy son on solids at 4 months. he is in speech adn physical therapy and his condition will only get better when he starts eating solids so in order for him to get better and not worse he needs to be on solids 3 times a day. i still give him hismilk like a regular baby and he is being monitored by each therapist and his doctor so im not doing it because i dont care of my son im doing it because i love my son and i want him to over come this obsticle and this is the only way it will get him better and not get worse. so please dont judge me im not being a bad mommy i love my son and all i want is his best

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not to mention, it's at a CHILDREN'S hospital and they're more frequently up to date on what is known to currently be best for children.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No one said you are a bad mom. AND...we only had limited info to go on. SO, on that little info..we gave our opinion. Our opinions are correct for the question your asked.

Now, what I need to ask....Most say start food at 6 months at the earliest. Would those 2 months waiting make a huge impact on his progress? Because we are worried about his stomach. Is his two months progress a big step and more important to do than wait 2 months for his stomach? If so, then, you are an awesome mom for doing what's best for your son.

With this new info, I Applaud you for looking past that and doing that for your son for him to get better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• why would a 4 or 5 month old need speech therapy?
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• "his condition will only get better when he starts eating solids so in order for him to get better and not worse he needs to be on solids 3 times a day"

did a doctor tell you this???

please inform me what condition this is, never heard of anything like that, would like to know, maybe more information to others will stop people from thinking you are bad mom
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Honey, you're doing what the doctors tell you to do. Obviously the women accusing you of being a bad mom are not doctors, nor do they know very much about your son's condition. Don't worry about what people like that think. Do what you and the doctors feel is best for your son. I think if you completely ignored the problem, you'd be less of a mom, but you're not. You're addressing it, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for that. He's 5 months old, and while 6 months old is recommended, I honestly don't think one month early is going to do any harm anyways. Not every baby is the same and it sounds like in this case, starting early has more advantages than disadvantages. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Alejandra...TYPICALLY giving cereal this early is NOT good. But doing so DOES NOT make one a bad mom even without the issues you report.

If you were giving SODA then you'd be questionable. But I hold it as a firm tenet...bad moms are the ones who ABUSE their babies.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• For those so quick to bash a mom dealing with a special needs infant.... MANY speech therapists are ALSO feeding specialists!!! Because proper movement/placement of the tongue is needed for BOTH proper speech AND eating/swallowing.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/ill/speech_therapy.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• screw em, u do what you think is right for u
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I just read your other post. You are in a situation where you must follow doctors orders and you are. If you were a bad mother, you would not have realized that something may not be quite right with your son and would have never seen a doctor in the first place, much less follow their orders later. Don't worry about the comments...you are fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I get the encourage to chew thing and tongue manipulation. Especially in the absence of breasfeeding (requires a totally different muscle action) But, you don't need to chew or manipulate purees. Babies just suck them and the spoon pushes the tongue out of the way.
    Just seems to me that the benefits aren't effective until closest to 6 months anyway when tongue manipulation appears and a baby can handle soft mushy chunks. Before that feeding purees wouldn't do much except take up space in the stomach better filled with milk, kwim?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2010