blood sugar

Hi My son is 3. My husband has type 2 diabetes and my mother has type 1.. I have been having issues with low blood sugar, so my son has been seeing us all take are blood sugar.. He wanted me to take his so I did.. It was 196.. he did drink juice over an hour before that . Is that to high for his age .. I have an appointment today I am just freaking out

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 10:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• Yes that is high. YOu need to cut out so much juice. Even natural juice is very high in natural sugar and that is bad for a diabetic
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes it is high. Mine was up to 180 due to a medicine I was taking and I was practically bedridden for a week. My husband, who was unemployed at the time, took care of the kids. I do not have diabetes but this medicine made my blood sugar skyrocket. I felt extremely dizzy for several days. I still have to take this medicine sometimes for asthma but a very low amount. There is no other substitute for this medicine. Could it be that your son takes a medicine that affects his blood sugar? I have to monitor my blood sugar quite often as a precaution because both my parents have diabetes. It is good that you have an appt. today. They have a lot of treatments for diabetes today. God Bless and I hope everything goes ok.
    tiger123

Answer by tiger123 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That is way high. Cut out the sugars. Fruit juice is not necessary. Give him whole fruits instead.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think you tested too soon after him having juice.  You should test it first thing in the morning, when it would be at it's lowest.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4826327_blood-sugar-ranges-children.html

" Before breakfast blood sugar ranges should be 70-99 mg/dl (milligrams/deciliter). Two to four hours after a meal, the blood sugar range should be 70-139 mg/dl."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010