Please help.... I dont understand how to use those fertility charts I just need a straight answer.

My periods are crazy but I still get them once a month..... I have only tracked my past cycle cause so much has been going on but My last cycle went from September 13th meaning that was the day I started bleeding and then my last period started on October 2nd. If you get those ovulation kits they base it off of your cycle but how long is this cycle cause I dont know how to count it and also when would be the best time to try for another baby? Thanks for reading!

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Have you bought the ovulation kit yet? If I recall, the directions were very clear and addressed that issue specifically. The great news is that you get it every month! It should be a piece of cake. I only got my period every couple of months, so I had to use two kits and test for a longer span of time, but it still worked the first try all three times. You really shouldn't need a chart, just a general idea of dates.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Grab a calendar and count from September 13th (cycle day 1) to October 1st - last day of your cycle because the new one started on October 2nd. Whatever number you're on when you hit the day before your next cycle started is how long your cycle was. I'm not trying to be mean, but it would be easier for you if you knew how to do it!! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to message me, I've ben charting cycles since last December!! That sounds like a short cycle though, around 3 weeks. If you've kept track of other cycles, go back and do the same and see if they are the same. If they aren't consistent, you could be not ovulating. You can have a period and not ovulate, and the first sign of that is irregular cycles.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Also, if you use the ovulation kits, once you get a positive, meaning the test line is as dark or darker than the control line, you will ovulate within 24-36 hours, so you should have sex that day and for a few days afterwards. If you don't get pregnant right off the bat, after you've done a few months and know when you're going to ovulate, you can plan for it and have sex starting 3 days before you're supposed to get a positive. But, if you don't want to mess with the calendar stuff, and counting and all that, there are test kits at Walmart that have 20 sticks in them that are $18, it's the Answer brand, and you can just start testing the day after you stop bleeding and keep testing till you get a positive.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Thank you ladies for responding with good answers but as far as the kits go I went through 3 boxes and nothing. Then I started to read if anything would effect the ovulation test and it said that if you carry allot of bacteria in your urine that you can get a false reading. When I was pregnant with my 1st son they said that I had groupie strep which is a bacteria that women sometimes get when there pregnant or just have period so Im thinking thats why all the test were coming back negative. So thats why Im trying to figure this out without the ovu. test and as far as my periods go... I do get them every month but they come at different times. Its never on the 28th or whatever every month and thats why I said my periods are crazy. I know this past cycle was very short but normally there longer then that. I might try the ovu. kit again and see if it will work but I doubt it. Thanks again though!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• : Anonymous, you said that the test worked all three times? So you got pregnant from going off the ovulation kit?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Okay I have your answer! What you stated is a big prob with the ovualtion kits. Plus they are expensive. Get the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It explains how to chart and gives you charts in the book. It does seem a little complicated at first but it really isn't. And many people don't want to mess with it they go the ovuation kit way, but really this is better, it gives you so much more info than just the day you ovulate.
    woodj2

Answer by woodj2 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Okay I had to cut my answer in half to fit it in!
    To summerize charting, which I think was your question. You write down and observe three basic things. Your period, your temperature before you get out of bed each morning and your cervical fluid. The key to timing is really the cervical fluid. When it is fertile it carries the sperm to the egg. No fluid and the sperm can't travel. So you may need to have sex before you ovulate or a little after depending on your body. Also your temp is higher when your body releases the egg and stays high till you get your period, so if it continues to stay after the time your period would normally start, you know you are pregnant!! You usally need to chart three months to get a good idea of your cycle. There are also charting website where you can do it online. Hope this helps!! It's a little work at first but it is really worth it!!!
    woodj2